~How ATHLETIC is your PITCHER?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
I would say it depends on how good they are at pitching, will determine if anyone really cares how good they are anywhere else in the field. Fouts is not a good fielder yet she pitched for team USA a couple nights ago.

Feb 24, 2022
(We're moving up to 14U in a month) We are very lucky that our 3 pitchers start at 3rd and SS when they aren't pitching. So I feel very confident with their fielding when they are on the mound. By contrast, last week I saw a pop up fall IN the pitching circle and the pitcher did not go for the ball.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
(We're moving up to 14U in a month) We are very lucky that our 3 pitchers start at 3rd and SS when they aren't pitching. So I feel very confident with their fielding when they are on the mound.

By contrast, last week I saw a pop up fall IN the pitching circle and the pitcher did not go for the ball.
Lol maybe that should be ruled an infield double...just cuzzz 😁

Jun 8, 2016
Imagine that somebody who could have been a better player on the field and chose not to, of course I would prefer a pitcher who could also be an asset as a defensive player in the middle of the field while they're pitching and elsewhere if needed.

That is what the discussion point is~
that there are some pitchers who are more of an asset on their teams than others.
What percentage rate do you think the split rate is on those abilities?
People have different capacities for work. The best (Brady, Jordan, Tiger, etc) often have higher capacities. For some kids working the extra 2 hours a week on fielding may have effected their pitching work and that tradeoff is probably not worth it.

Dec 19, 2021
Ha! Which one?

1) Moderate, decent all around
2) Pretty good , good speed and fielder
3) OK at 1st or 3rd. Less speed/range than average
4) OK at 1st. Good reactions at 3rd. Well below average mobility.
5) Emergency pitcher. Mostly plays OF because of speed. Leadoff batter, Steals bases, guns down runners from OF. 2nd most athletic on the team besides the one with the NFL dad.

Jun 8, 2016
DD’s (now) second year 14u team has 4 pitchers. All of them play 1b, one plays the OF (poorly) and one plays 3B (not bad until she developed what looks like a case of the throwing yips halfway through the year) All of them get fielding reps in the IF/OF during practice. One of them cannot hit her way out of a paper bag (like I think she put the ball in play 4 times all season..), 2 of them are ok hitters and the one who plays 3B is the team’s best hitter… she is also the worst pitcher and probably will be relegated to emergency/mop up situations moving forward.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Ha! Which one?

1) Moderate, decent all around
2) Pretty good , good speed and fielder
3) OK at 1st or 3rd. Less speed/range than average
4) OK at 1st. Good reactions at 3rd. Well below average mobility.
5) Emergency pitcher. Mostly plays OF because of speed. Leadoff batter, Steals bases, guns down runners from OF. 2nd most athletic on the team besides the one with the NFL dad.
At Long Beach
Our #1 pitcher lefty also played first.
2) Pretty good pitcher, good hitter, good fielder.
Her defensive abilities added to her starting in the circle. Pretty good at that level is darn good for most teams. But against excellent hitters being a good Fielder is necessary/helpful.

Truly believe that the defensive abilities of a few of our pitchers helped us compete against the competition.

Another of our pitchers was also a middle in fielder. I believe she was a better infielder than she was a pitcher but still useful as a pitcher.

Oct 14, 2019
Just watch college softball a little bit and it is obvious that some great pitchers are not great athletes in the traditional sense of run, jump, throw, etc. Along the same line of questioning, is Alo a great athlete? Steph Curry?

May 13, 2021
Just watch college softball a little bit and it is obvious that some great pitchers are not great athletes in the traditional sense of run, jump, throw, etc. Along the same line of questioning, is Alo a great athlete? Steph Curry?
Depends on what the athletic feat is. If it is 100 meter dash no she is not. If it is a dunk contest no she is not. If it is a hitting contest or a wrestling match yes she is.

Oct 14, 2019
Depends on what the athletic feat is. If it is 100 meter dash no she is not. If it is a dunk contest no she is not. If it is a hitting contest or a wrestling match yes she is.
What does athletic even mean? Of course a good hitter is good at hitting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00