Should they change the mercy rule in college softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
We discussed this before. In the previous Era when pitchers dominated with low scoring games 1-0, the mercy rule makes sense. I think it should be adjusted. 15 after 5.

These are baseball scores. Check out the bottom 2. Yikes. How would you like to be playing in those games. Just end it already!

View attachment 25789
Geeez run-a-thon

Jun 8, 2016
You would see more scores like that in softball if they had to go to their 7th or 8th best pitcher…

Jul 5, 2016
"Sally Jones last pitched that one time in 10u when she quit after everyone kept telling her to 'just throw strikes,' and here she is facing Jocelyn Alo with the game on the line in this tough regional matchup"
Yep. And if I want to watch 10U ball, then I'll go to my town ballpark. I can't say I particularly enjoyed watching UCLA get crushed. I would prefer a Texas-OSU 2nd game type match up any day.

Jun 8, 2016
Yep. And if I want to watch 10U ball, then I'll go to my town ballpark. I can't say I particularly enjoyed watching UCLA get crushed. I would prefer a Texas-OSU 2nd game type match up any day.
Only team boxer wearing types like blowouts..

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
You need arms..doesn't mean all of them are quality arms at the college level (vs MLB)
Exactly. UT has already played 64 games and most are 9 inning games. The other difference is in youth baseball you need at least 5 pitchers since they are on pitch counts. You may not be a pitcher but you can throw strikes. Youth Baseball requires no lessons to become a pitcher. Fastpitch is a different story with only a few brave souls stick with it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Youth Baseball requires no lessons to become a pitcher. Fastpitch is a different story with only a few brave souls stick with it.
Profound!

Also in bb players get accustomed to seeing the ball being thrown over hand on the field. Tracking an overhand pitch from an overhand throw would be similar to just playing catch.

Not so in fastpitch.

Fastpitch Batters have to learn tracking a pitch from an underhand throwing mechanic which in itself takes another skill set.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00