a rec coach decided...player contracts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
DFP got comments about this?!
Like it? No ugh?

a rec coach decided, time for player contracts on the team he coaches.
12u bracket

His reasoning is that while anybody can sign up and play for the league, and all players have to be played in games regardless if they show up to practice. That league rule does not promote developing a team of players and he acknowledges that's not fair to the players that do show up for practices.

Time for player contracts.

Which will include basic verbiage about playing on this team will have a commitment to the teams schedule games & practices.
(amongst a couple other topics like there will be no meals inside the dugout,
aka- your parent cannot hand you a McDonald's Happy Meal in The Dugout)

* he is not tossing aside the league rules about players playing he is trying to implement some standards to being a team.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
While I agree with the sentiment, typically rec players are drafted and do not get to choose whose team they play for. Therefore, I don’t think the coach is right for doing this. The players can’t just leave and move to another team within the League if they don’t agree with this particular coach’s rules.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
I would be interested on how he ran said practices that were mandatory.
Good question.
Organized. Efficient. And Developmental.

Which may get overlooked if people are used to other practices that are not organized, not efficient, and don't develop the players. Then there could be an understanding of why people wouldn't show up for those practices. 🤷‍♀️.

Try to get people to show up to a practice that might help their kid think is a valued effort!

May 13, 2023
While I agree with the sentiment, typically rec players are drafted and do not get to choose whose team they play for. Therefore, I don’t think the coach is right for doing this. The players can’t just leave and move to another team within the League if they don’t agree with this particular coach’s rules.
* he is not tossing aside the league rules about players playing he is trying to implement some standards to being a team.
* players will get to play in games that is a League rule.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
No contracts and I did not want to know why they were missing practice or games. I will find eventually anyways. If they want to go to Susie's birthday party so be it, I would rather be at her party too. I told both the parents and players I would let them know if it was starting to become an issue. I never needed to but I am sure I could have benched a player for lack of participation with a couple phone calls.

I always felt 1 of my primary jobs as a coach was players wanting to come to practice, not an obligation.

I did not like cell phones at games, practice was fine. I gave my cell phone to DW during games, she was almost always there.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
* players will get to play in games that is a League rule.

Never said anything about the players not playing. Just said I don’t feel it’s right that they need to follow “his rules” or contract (same difference).

May 13, 2023
To draw out Solutions let me ask this question please.
I always felt 1 of my primary jobs as a coach was players wanting to come to practice, not an obligation.
How would you then implement your goal as your 'primary job' to get players to want to come to practice?
When several already won't?

If they have not experienced a better practice and maybe that's the reason they don't show up cuz they have previously seen it as a waste of time with other coaching situations?

May 20, 2015
sounds like a well intentioned thought that was poorly implemented

some standards for behavior/expectations while at practice are a fine idea......mandatory practice not so much.....

not a poor concept (trying to promote the team concept, responsibility, accountability, etc)......just needs more thought and refining

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles