Should they change the mercy rule in college softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 9, 2021
With the amount of runs that can be scored in todays game should they at least increase the amount of runs to 10 after 5 innings? College baseball already plays more innings and they don’t even have a mercy rule. Just curious if most like the 8 run rule or think it should be adjusted at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 25, 2020
With the amount of runs that can be scored in todays game should they at least increase the amount of runs to 10 after 5 innings? College baseball already plays more innings and they don’t even have a mercy rule. Just curious if most like the 8 run rule or think it should be adjusted at this point.

I think they should play 7 in the NCAA tourney at least. The UCLA VS Fl game was an early stoppage IMO. Not just for Florida, but it was a WCWS game on network TV. Imagine if Florida pulled off a comeback and wins. Or it takes extra innings. Eat as much TV time as you can. Especially Sunday afternoon network TV.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I like the run rule. Kinda like a KO in boxing. Fun seeing one team try to knock the other out while the other tries to stay alive. Runs scored hasn't increased enough since 2010 for it to matter, IMO. In this WCWS, there's been over 100 half innings, and it's happened only once that a team has scored 8 runs over 2 innings, and that was Oklahoma, the team least likely to find itself in that predicament in the first place. One thing that makes softball so fun is that it's played in a reasonable amount of time. So I say end it, count 'em out. Five innings, 2 hours, that's enough. TKO.

Edit: Just looked up the UCLA-Florida run-rule game. Lasted 2 hours, 27 minutes. That's enough. Next game, please.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2017
I have no idea how to find this out, but I wonder how many times teams have come back from being down 7 after 5 innings? Guessing even that is really rare. 8 after 5 works for me.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
With the amount of runs that can be scored in todays game should they at least increase the amount of runs to 10 after 5 innings?

College baseball already plays more innings and they don’t even have a mercy rule.
How often are there games in college baseball that the runs eclipse the other team so much that they might need a mercy rule?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
We discussed this before. In the previous Era when pitchers dominated with low scoring games 1-0, the mercy rule makes sense. I think it should be adjusted. 15 after 5.

These are baseball scores. Check out the bottom 2. Yikes. How would you like to be playing in those games. Just end it already!

1654525254693.png

May 23, 2015
Nah. Leave as is. WCWS or not.

IMO, the payoff of extending blowouts wouldn’t be worth the rare instances of a epic comeback. I prefer the way it is now (run rule wise.)

Fast pitch got a lot of things right in its own way which makes it so appealing. One of those things is the speed of the game. Although I like the new replay rules there is a drawback in the lengthening of the games. Let’s not do more to add to that side of the equation.

Jul 5, 2016
We discussed this before. In the previous Era when pitchers dominated with low scoring games 1-0, the mercy rule makes sense. I think it should be adjusted. 15 after 5.

These are baseball scores. Check out the bottom 2. Yikes. How would you like to be playing in those games. Just end it already!

View attachment 25789
Those baseball scores are just bizarre. I'm guessing limitations in the pitching department or, since it is the regionals, major skills mismatches. Taking OU out of the equation, you don't see too much of this in softball.

Jun 11, 2013
I think it's fine. It's not a time limit just a run rule so you have to keep it in mind when you play.

Nov 9, 2021
How often are there games in college baseball that the runs eclipse the other team so much that they might need a mercy rule?

Just yesterday Oklahoma state came back from down 12 runs to win a regional game. It is what made me think about it actually.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles