The Mercy Rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Yet there are times when a team pulls greatly ahead but it just because of a disaster inning of errors on one team's behalf.
Say if specifically paying for playing three friendly games and you just get an hour and 20 minutes per game wouldn't it be preferable to finish out at least that time.

Why would the score matter when it's only a short game anyway...not for tournament.
A lot of times people are only playing friendlies to get playing time in for everybody?! Not always playing to win so to speak.
You didn’t say anything about friendlies..

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
You didn’t say anything about friendlies..
Didn't limit talking about what we were referring to either

But still a good point because there's times when teams are playing games to get playing time in not necessarily concerned with the score.
Sounds a little strange but it happens when teams already know they're entering the tournament that they are going to be the Lesser competition

Aug 1, 2019
MN
We do not call it mercy on the team my DD is on now. They have Run-ruled a couple teams - not sure if that makes them Feel any better but, semantics....

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
I think the semantics do make a difference. Mercy rule is humanistic, with one side taking pity on the other. Run rule is unfeeling; the conditions of the rule have been met, therefore this is the result.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I think the semantics do make a difference. Mercy rule is humanistic, with one side taking pity on the other. Run rule is unfeeling; the conditions of the rule have been met, therefore this is the result.
Good observation.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Ok..move the goalpost so you can get people to agree with you.

Yeah in that case keep playing.
I never set the goal post...
Add a reminder to you I don't post things in hopes that people agree with me. Post things in hopes that people will discuss topics.
I'm okay with people having difference of opinion! Enjoy reading different perspectives that's okay with me to hope you can figure that out
Stop trying to make this about an individual like yourself or another person it's a topic of discussion in the softball forum

radness

Dec 13, 2019
When people think of run rules they think of regular games since the conditions are set by the powers that be (NCAA, TD, etc) so you didn’t need to.
It's okay for you to have your own perspective. I will state that the conversation has good perspectives and observations brought to it. That is the reason for posting.
As I stated earlier it's really about the word Mercy I really like this observation about using run rule this comparison

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
It's okay for you to have your own perspective. I will state that the conversation has taking good perspectives and observations brought to it. That is the reason for posting.
As I stated earlier it's really about the word Mercy I really like this observation about using run rule this comparison

Mr.pattar
You seemed to take issue with the fact that I bring up different posts.
You should know that I'm already encountered other people like you in the softball community. So I'm glad you are part of this softball Community but there is no reason to backbite when this is only about softball. By the way a lot of times I do not care for your demeanor towards others on dfp but I tend to take mercy on you. And not retract in harshness at you even saying mr. Pattar to try and show some respect for you as a human being.
You may not choose to have respect towards another person on this form like myself simply bringing up conversational topics. I hope you can learn not to be such a backbiter. But hey it's your style and it's not the first time I've seen that in the softball community. Resilience will win
Stop playing a victim..and that is Dr. Pattar to you 😉

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck