~How ATHLETIC is your PITCHER?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Read somewhere a poster commented usually pitchers are very athletic.

Hmmm 🤔... are they?

Would you say pitchers are equally capable at other defensive positions as the other players you have on your team?

Do you have pitchers who are pitchers only and pretty much that's where they shine?

*** this topic may have a lot to do with the age of the players we are talking about and their competitive levels.

đź’ĄGO DFPđź’Ą

Jun 8, 2016
Outside of maybe SS and CF I wouldn’t say they are less athletic in the usual way that “athleticism” is measured. They just typically are less capable of playing other positions as they get older because if they want to be good pitchers, they have to spend so much time practicing pitching that it takes away from practicing other stuff..

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Outside of maybe SS and CF I wouldn’t say they are less athletic in the usual way that “athleticism” is measured.
Interesting, the usual way that 'athleticism' is measured...
They just typically are less capable of playing other positions as they get older because if they want to be good pitchers, they have to spend so much time practicing pitching that it takes away from practicing other stuff..
Yet can be measured comparable to other defensive players on the team!

And so the reason for the post topic 🙂👍

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Read somewhere a poster commented usually pitchers are very athletic.
Every "good" pitcher I've seen is very athletic. At a young age, they are usually excellent fielders and batters. They are consistently one of the top 2 or 3 players on the team.

Like any player, their body type make them more suitable at one position than another.
Would you say pitchers are equally capable at other defensive positions as the other players you have on your team?

This is a different question than "are they athletic".

In 14U, my DDs could and did easily play RF, 3B, and 1B. Their arm strength, fielding and knowledge of the game were superior to everyone on the team. (Heck...they had been around the game since before they could walk.)

But, around 16U-A, the "full time" infielders began to surpass them.

Why? Three reasons.

1. When you get to 16U-A, the only girls still playing are good athletes. All the so-so girls have quit.
2. At 16U-A, the position players work on their batting and fielding outside of regular practice.
3. The pitcher doesn't have the time to work on another position. Some pitchers find the time to work on their hitting, but very few find time to work on their fielding.

Between school work and my job, we only had about an hour a day available to practice. You have to set priorities.

Do you have pitchers who are pitchers only and pretty much that's where they shine?
Let's be frank...

Whether deservedly or not, a good pitcher is the "star" of the team. A good pitcher "shines" much more brightly than any other player on the team.

The full-ride scholarship money is for pitchers and catchers.

So, *OF COURSE* a pitcher will "shine more brightly" at pitching that any other position she plays.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Several D1 colleges that recruited DD as an infielder only - asking of she would be willing to probably give up pitching to start in the field and in the lineup.

Last year DD started 1/2 the games at P, and about 1/4 of the games at 3B/SS and even 1B. Even played some RF in a game or two.

DD has recently got into speed climbing and is doing pretty well at it.

So, really athletic.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
This is a different question than "are they athletic".
Athletic and abilities are relevant to being on the field compared to each players role on the field.
That is why proposed the question in comparison to other players capability at their positions on the field.

Outside of maybe SS and CF I wouldn’t say they are less athletic in the usual way that “athleticism” is measured.
⬆️

From this can say that while a pitcher may be an asset in the circle. They may not be so much that asset at a defensive position.
Simply because there are different skill sets in the circle than there are on the rest of the field. Which does not mean a pitcher cannot be both a pitcher and a defensive player but I do not think that all are also defensive players.
Screenshot_20220714-072248_Chrome.jpg

Think this is where some pitchers get into the conundrum of wanting to play other positions while at a certain point (whether competitive level or age bracket)the other defensive players at their positions are better than the pitcher would be, that conundrum happens. What and when that happens maybe at a different age or development level.

At what point are people seeing this unfold?

May 27, 2022
Agree very much with @sluggers comments. Younger pitchers are there because their athleticism allows them to be better than most - and, compare to other fielders, you have to be somewhat athletic to play there.

As the years progress, if nothing else, pitchers don't get the in game reps at other positions and tend to specialize and, therefore, fall behind in athleticism. Also, I can think of several pitchers that are excellent pitchers, but kind of gave up on overall athleticism because they could be great at pitching without worrying about being "athletic".

But, the hardest working position is definitely catcher! (but that is likely another thread)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Also, I can think of several pitchers that are excellent pitchers, but kind of gave up on overall athleticism because they could be great at pitching without worrying about being "athletic".
Imagine that, could be an excellent pitcher but chose not to be an asset as a defensive player in the middle of the field...🤷‍♀️

Hmmm🤔

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad