~How ATHLETIC is your PITCHER?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Dd played P, 2B,1B and RF for her college team this year. They wanted to keep her bat in the lineup, so her fielding position changed depending on who else was pitching that game. I would consider her athletic. She’ll dive for balls like any other fielder.

Jun 8, 2016
What does athletic even mean?
I don't know but I can tell you what not being athletic looks like...lol.

To me there are certain attributes which are harder or even impossible to be elite at with hard work..foot speed, jumping ability, shuttle runs (eg quickness), strength, etc. You can get better but never be elite. Other things have ceilings which are obviously determined by what you are born with but it is less obvious that you cannot become elite through hard work alone hitting, pitching (maybe..), shooting in basketball, etc. 🤷‍♂️

I would put kids who possess the first set of attributes in the athletic category. Being athletic in that sense never hurts but doesn't guarantee much in many sports (including softball/baseball for the most part).

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Kentucky uses most of their pitchers at other positions, so I assume their coach is recruiting athletic pitchers.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
When my dd was in HS she played 3 varsity sports. Started all 3 as a senior. Voted senior athlete of the year by her fellow students, was given the senior athlete award the athletic department gave out. She was #1 pitcher on her Her travel team, to keep her in the lineup they decided to let her play SS when the SS pitched, my dd is left handed.

As a sophomore she was not the HS starting pitcher. She was all county, league, area… outfielder.

So sort of athletic. Kinda slow though.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
She was a hurdler but was slow?🤨

My DW ran hurdles in college.
In middle school good hurdlers were either fast or good at the technique of hurdling. She was good at the technique. Won enough points for the team to be MVP. We saw a girl the next year who was both fast and good technique. It was a different sport the way she did it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi