Swing speed training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
"With all that going on, I would really talk to someone, or learn about getting enough good quality calories for muscle recovery and strength."
That's a good idea...My Sister- in- law is a dietician at a hospital, maybe she can help out or point me in the right direction.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Okay great, she'll like 2x better now that the season is over. She's training with a company that has had amazing results with a couple girls we know and they are pretty hard core. We've been to one workout so far and we were impressed with the trainers and the facilities.
When you do these swing excercises, do you give any breaks? I just kept a steady pace with no rest, but slow enough for her to focus on technique. I think it only took about 15 -20 minutes total. Also, for soft toss, I've seen several people post on sites that side toss is worthless. Any thoughts on this. I don't have much space, but could do it from the front at a slight angle behind a net. I did earn another bruise on the thigh from standing to close to the net though.

I played baseball and got big into weight lifting in my 20s. One thing I learned is the recovery time and diet are even more important then the workout. We always said strong muscles are built in the kitchen, not in the gym.

Our hitting sessions are always 2-3 girls. They push each other, and it keeps it more enjoyable for them. The hitting sessions usually last about 45 minutes. They are pretty tired by the end. I don't think there is a wrong way, but always keep in mind you are trying to build a single explosive move, not endurance. We use a tunnel at a faciluty 50% and 50% is in a garage. I do side toss at in angle as part of it, we are working on swing mecs not tracking. Now early next spring we will go to mosting front toss. I only use lite flights and tcb balls in the garage and I still nearly get my head taken off.
With the swing work and strength training...dude she is going to blow it up!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I've been tempted to get one of these but I'm really spending too much money on softball. I might have to switch to the cheap beer:(

Don't worry, you can keep drinking the good stuff. It's easy and cheap to make your own w/ a dead bat, dead SB, drill, saw, and piece of rope. If you can't find it on the Ohio SB site, there may have been a post here on DFP with instructions. Maybe by SBFamily? Or one of the other lemmings.

Oct 10, 2011
Go to Ohio Fastpitch Connection. Search the Tech hitting older posts. There are pics and how to make info. I also read about using a lacrosse stick handle.

I can't seem to find it. I would be a terrible detective! Can anyone p.m. the info?

Apr 1, 2010
I took a 34 inch piece of 1" pvc and taped an 8" long piece of 1 1/4 " pvc on it at the sweet spot. It probably weighs about 17 oz. We swing it dry as fast as possible. Also we hit and actually play wiffle ball type games in the yard with foam practice golf balls.

Cost about $2 to make.

DD also hits those foam golf balls with a light bat; she seems to enjoy it. The balls are so light weight, on a windy day I end up standing just a few feet away to try to keep them somewhere in the strike zone. It's probably not worth it, but I've been surprised a few times just how quickly she can whip that thing and hit them. My reflexes wouldn't be nearly good enough from that distance. Does anyone know if the golf ball sized TCB balls are available yet? I'd love to try those!

Apr 1, 2010
That sounds great! I don't do exclusively heavy bat. I do about the same formula that you did.

The heavy bat will help your mechanics, that is the #1 reason why we recommend it. It will strengthen your muscles that it #2.

BUT think of track sprinter, if they just did drills with the parachute attached, would that help them get faster? No they will get stronger, but they (well they make my kids anyway) to things that they call "over speed"...they run down steep hills to make them increase the threshold of speed that their legs. That is what things like the speed bat can do, push past the current threshold of bat speed.

IMO, if she is going to a trainer 2x per week, I think 2 sessions of hard, quality, heavy focus hitting are enough. With all that going on, I would really talk to someone, or learn about getting enough good quality calories for muscle recovery and strength.

I agree. The things I've read on increasing speed recommend training reps with a few ounces heavy, a few ounces light, and your normal weight. I'm not real sure if you have to do all three at every session or whether you can go normal and heavy the first session of the week and normal and light the second, for example.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
DD also hits those foam golf balls with a light bat; she seems to enjoy it. The balls are so light weight, on a windy day I end up standing just a few feet away to try to keep them somewhere in the strike zone. It's probably not worth it, but I've been surprised a few times just how quickly she can whip that thing and hit them. My reflexes wouldn't be nearly good enough from that distance. Does anyone know if the golf ball sized TCB balls are available yet? I'd love to try those!

Haha!!! It took me 4 purchases to find some I liked. I don't know the brand, but they are yellow and a little more rubbery then the rest.

They fit great in between your fingers and thumbs, so we play games and throw pitches that break 4 feet.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA