Best and worst training tools

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Bucket of rice for hand strength. I had no idea this was a thing until DD's HS coach gave her a 5 gallon bucket filled with rice. Told her that there was a small plastic ball at the bottom and to dig in the bucket each day to find it. It will make her hands stronger. 3 years later I heard an MLB podcast and someone mentioned it as a training method. It works for DD.
I remember seeing Roger Clemens on tv repeatedly drive his arm down into a wooden keg/barrel of some kind of grain to strengthen his arm and shoulder.
If you use soybeans you will have the added benefit of soft, smooth hands due to the soy oil. :)

Aug 20, 2018
I remember seeing Roger Clemens on tv repeatedly drive his arm down into a wooden keg/barrel of some kind of grain to strengthen his arm and shoulder.
If you use soybeans you will have the added benefit of soft, smooth hands due to the soy oil. :)

I remember that commercial! My daughter does this with a bucket of rice but we put coins in the rice for her to dig out. First few times she did it, she complained about how hard it was. Now it's getting easier and easier, so the coins are going from quarters and nickels to dimes and pennies.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Agree with a majority of the best. No one has mentioned the MaxBP Tracking disks though. Definitely a winner for ball tracking drills. I used to use the 5 gallon water cooler jug caps until these came out. I also like the SKLZ limited flight balls. They're better than wiffles because of more weight but only fly about as far.

Worst IMO is the
Louisville Slugger L30325 Instructo Swing Batting Trainer
Most people don't know how to use it properly thus promoting a chopping the tree with an axe swing.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
*Tanners or Jugs Tee, both are great!

*A good net (Bownet, etc.) for tournaments, and a really safe, solid pitching screen for front toss at your school or home practice field.

*As many buckets of leather balls as you can carry.

*Short, one handed bat for Tee work.

*Paddle, pancake, fast hands, or whatever you want to call them.....flat infield trainer. I used to keep the infielders after practice for an additional 15+ minutes of infield with these trainers, when they're all dialed in using them it's a pretty cool thing to see! But it takes some work to get there!

*A stolen / modified shopping cart to dump all the balls in and to roll around the field to pick up 200/300 balls after front toss! Still have no idea where it came from but it's great?!

*And a dozen Total Control Balls for limited space at tournaments.

*That's all I've got at the moment.....oh yeah, some good coaches! ;)

Oct 4, 2018
What I consider best isn't as much "training tools" to me, but more like ESSENTIALS.

Tee and bownet. $5 24 inch bat from Walmart for one-handed drills.

I avoid all the gadgets and gimmicks and such.

Jul 28, 2020
Mostly at 10U

I tried the Camwood bat and I think its great to eliminate all of those 10U casting type swings

The flat glove is great as well for learning to give with that ground ball