Rotational Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2008
Guru,
Who is your MLB friend? Please name your source. I would like to review tape or still pics of your friend. This is a constant debate between coaches with different backgrounds. Most lower level softball coaches seem to subscribe to the rotational method , where most pro baseball coaches concentrate on a short linear approach. Back to the video & pictures. As they say, a picture says a thousand words. If you have a link or any photos to post, please post with a description of the photo. I have many photos to trade if you are interested.

I do not think it is necessary to name names. And no I do not want to exchange pictures with you. That just sounds creepy.

The big league coaches may teach to have a smaller swing because those guys are much stronger than my daughter. She needs to create torque to get power, they do not. They are big strong men.

Jun 10, 2008
Guru,

How does rotating create power? Do you rotate to create power for any of the following?
Hitting a tennis ball, slap shot ( hockey ), hitting a golf ball, bowling, volleyball serve or spike, pitching or throwing a baseball, pitching a softball, kicking a soccer ball or football, throwing a a football. None of those actions are produced by rotating ( as a source of power ).All MLB hitters are successful when they combine 2 elements at the same time : balance & batspeed ( by whipping the bat )

Jun 11, 2008
Guru,

How does rotating create power? Do you rotate to create power for any of the following?
Hitting a tennis ball, slap shot ( hockey ), hitting a golf ball, bowling, volleyball serve or spike, pitching or throwing a baseball, pitching a softball, kicking a soccer ball or football, throwing a a football. None of those actions are produced by rotating ( as a source of power ).All MLB hitters are successful when they combine 2 elements at the same time : balance & batspeed ( by whipping the bat )

We are not talking about doing those things though. We are talking about hitting. You just proved my point in the 2 things that make a hitter successful. Batspeed is one of them. You create that by rotating the hips through so your hands can come through and whip the bat at the ball.

Did you read Pops post about the camp? Great info Pop. I am glad your dd has taken to the Epstien way. As you can see, with hard work, the results are already starting to show after only 6 hours. Hitting is not rocket science.

Jun 10, 2008
Your style if swing is what is "CREEPY" This supposed to be where coaches exchange info because we should want to get better as coaches. I was only offering to exchange some information to help. Good luck with your made up, Epstien, garbage style of hitting. How much professional playing & coaching experience do you have. Probably none! You have obviously never played baseball or softball. If you were a player you would know more.

May 12, 2008
Here's a Jung clip that can be viewed frame by frame using your cursor keys. I'd say the hips go first and the hands stay back and rotate with the shoulders. So what am I missing?

The hips go because the back foot pushes off. It is a natural movement (hips)... it is not forced. I think that was the original argument. Your hips do open, but what starts your swing is your back foot which inturns makes your hips open. I can guarantee you that when you ask the best hitters if they practice popping their hips when hitting... they will tell you no way!!!! If we are debating about what starts the swing it IS NOT the hips... it is the back foot.[/QUOTE]

What do "popping" the hips mean to you? Back foot? Well, sort of since it's what on the ground as your hips ride forward but it's not the foot turning the knee and pelvis.

Jun 11, 2008
Your style if swing is what is "CREEPY" This supposed to be where coaches exchange info because we should want to get better as coaches. I was only offering to exchange some information to help. Good luck with your made up, Epstien, garbage style of hitting. How much professional playing & coaching experience do you have. Probably none! You have obviously never played baseball or softball. If you were a player you would know more.

I am trying to make other coaches, like yourself, better by making you aware of the proper hitting techniques. Rotational is what the big leaguers use and they are breaking the old records everyday. They must be doing something right.

My playing days are over. I played college ball and was an all american, but blew out my knee and could no longer play. Many scouts thought I would have been a high draft choice. However, this is not about me.

I do not coach. I just have started to get into softball because my daughter plays and I have seen many coaches teach the linear style that you speak of. The problem my daughter and many of her teammates are having is that noone hits like that. Maybe your "punch and judy" hitters, but when the girls watch games, everyone rotates and they are hitting a ton. Our girls are struggling. So I am hear to let coaches know the proven rotational hitting. Look up old pictures of the great hitters. Ted Williams, Rod Carew, Tony Gwynn, Pujols, Berkman, Braun....They all rotate and can hit a ton. I want all coaches to teach this.

You probably teach or coach baseball/softball don't you because you know how the saying goes...those who can do, those who can't teach.

May 12, 2008
But what you are saying is that you have to consciously throw your hips to start your swing and I am telling you that you do not. IT HAPPENS NATURALLY as you push off of your back foot and throw your hands inside the ball. Again, if you ask any good hitters what they are thinking when they are practicing their swings... it will not be their hips starting! I just talked to Jessica Mendoza yesterday about this and she said the exact same thing! Her statement was "I focus on my back foot drive and front arm pull... the worst thing is to think about your hips bc it pulls you off the ball."

Semantics. Whatever swing thought works for you. I agree with the importance of connecting the lead arm pull to the rotation.

May 12, 2008
One more thing Mike,

Respectfully, how can you argue against these people like Tony Gwynn who have dedicated their entire lives to study hitting? .

Because other great hitters say completely different things. If we follow the advice of the latest great hitter we read, our path will look like a zig zag as we constantly reverse course. This appeal to follow someone's advice just because they were a great hitter falls on it's face as soon as we read the advice of the next great hitter who disagrees with the first great hitter. Really this has been covered repeatedly for the last ten plus years and you are only the latest to come forward saying the exact same thing as the last 100 or so. We've been there and done that over and over again. I promise you everything you are saying is old hat. I really don't say this to impugn you because we have all been right where you are. You are at the start of Mike's journey and mine. Not the end. Mike would tell you to study Yeager and I would tell you to study Englishbey to catch up. Either would be a big step forward.

May 9, 2008
Where's the Love, Guru?

Hi Guru,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm thinking about private lessons later this year after the camp experience shakes out. They're just across town and prices aren't too bad.

I have to chide you a little bit though. I think that hitit29's offer to exchange photos was sincere and that you we're a bit short with him. Let's make nice here. If Slapper23 and Mark H can agree on stuff in other places on this forum I think we can all keep it civil around here. Maybe even solve all the worlds problems and the Middle East as well.

All The Best,

Pops

May 12, 2008
Now having read the rest of this thread it's a bit disappointing, though not suprising, to see several posters combining ignorance and arrogance IMO. I expect this on eteamz but I was hoping differently for this board. Read my post above. We were where you are at one time. If you drop the attitude you might learn something. I'm interested in that for the sake of the kids you work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32