Travel Team coaches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Instead of targeting the top team in the organization, target the secondary teams and work your way up. The coach will promote the right players from within the organization if they are what they need or want on their top teams. Those secondary teams will play other top teams locally and nationally as well.

Jun 4, 2019
I wouldn’t panic, I don’t know if too many players who get recognized at showcase tournaments. For the most part, they are a waste of money.

With that being said, my team did a lot of showcase tournaments this season because that’s what the parents felt we needed to do. I don’t know if any coaches watching us who were looking at 2026s. And that’s what my team was. Every coach we talked to ask did we have any 2024. Colleges are looking to the portals and they’re looking for seniors, and occasionally juniors. Don’t get frustrated if you sophomore isn’t getting recruited.

Aug 5, 2022
I wouldn’t say players get recognized at show case tournaments but if you are on a coaches radar you get evaluated. The school dd is going to attended over 50% of her games. She generally attended 2 camps a year there from the time she was in 7th grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
I wouldn’t say players get recognized at show case tournaments but if you are on a coaches radar you get evaluated. The school dd is going to attended over 50% of her games. She generally attended 2 camps a year there from the time she was in 7th grade.

Why do you think they felt the need to see so many of her games?

From most families I've talked to, a camp or two and a Sparkler or two and they get the offer.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas

From most families I've talked to, a camp or two and a Sparkler or two and they get the offer.
They want to make sure she is on track and progressing or they had no one else to look at during that time at those fields. Coaches also split up too.

Oct 4, 2018
They want to make sure she is on track and progressing or they had no one else to look at during that time at those fields. Coaches also split up too.

Gotcha, thanks. I'm all for teams doing their due diligence and not just taking players because of hype/ratings. I've heard y'all tell stories of coaches taking players without enough research and regretting it. In some cases perhaps they have to take a shot though.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Hi, looking to get some thoughts about dealing with coaches. My DD 2026 is switching team. Her current team does not play any tournaments that any of the schools she is interested in attends. Her social media has multiple highlights ( defense and hitting) of her play over the past year from travel, school and P5 camps. As we have been reaching out to travel coaches, she has sent messages to coaches via social media and I have emailed others and the response is pretty bad. Even coaches that say they are looking for a player, MAY respond and then ask the basic questions and then nothing. For example, when they ask: tell me about your DD. We provide birth year/grad year, her fielding positions, P5 camps attended in the last few months, type of hitter and speedy. Her social media is followed by multiple coaches some of the P5 schools and smaller d3 in the area and a bunch of travel organizations coaches. Wondering if we are providing too much info or too little, or if they are just plain weird.
Have you posted on Facebook groups that you are looking for a team? Im a member of groups in most of those states and they have tons of members. I know Georgia Fastpitch has a few as does the NC and TN pages.

Aug 5, 2022

No idea, I guess I never thought about it like that. I would imagine what orange socks says was a factor. Based on conversations since her signing I think they were trying to show her how interested they were since there is only so much they can say. Her team is also high level so I’m sure they were also watching some of our 25s that were interested in their program as well as kids on our opponents teams and they are fun to watch so if there wasn’t anything else I needed to see I’d kill time watching our team too.

May 13, 2023
The college is doing thorough due diligence figuring out their decision.
Mehhh not so much. Not saying that won't happen however that is kind of too simple so I'm chiming in.

Major factors are the talent level of the college and the particular College where it is located and it's curriculum.
* some colleges have a heck of a lot more prospects trying to get into their college than other colleges have smaller pickings. Certain colleges are in such a not wonderful location that those colleges extend multiple multiple offers without many accepting.
Add cost combined with what the family can afford or what the Financial assistant is going to offer.

Usually colleges have multiple candidates they are looking at for the same one spot they are looking to fill. So colleges will mull over the prospects and more times offers will not be handed out.

In other words a player could go to five different colleges and go to three camps at each College and get zero offer. Then go to that one college in the Obscure location. That has a limited curriculum. And get an offer.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles