Rotational Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2008
Here's a Jung clip that can be viewed frame by frame using your cursor keys. I'd say the hips go first and the hands stay back and rotate with the shoulders. So what am I missing?[/QUOTE]

The hips go because the back foot pushes off. It is a natural movement (hips)... it is not forced. I think that was the original argument. Your hips do open, but what starts your swing is your back foot which inturns makes your hips open. I can guarantee you that when you ask the best hitters if they practice popping their hips when hitting... they will tell you no way!!!! If we are debating about what starts the swing it IS NOT the hips... it is the back foot.

May 27, 2008
Indiana
Posey,

Your opinion on hip turn seems very much like that advocated by Dr. Chris Yeager. I'm not arguing with the back foot push, but IMO your pelvic muscles also help in the process of turning the hips, or in getting the hips to lead the way. Hips lead while the hands stay back as rotation inititates into toe touch.

The hands are NOT left behind in a disconnected manner - everything is connected as hips lead. Or better yet, hips lead as the hitter rotates into toe touch and begins to "sit to hit" as tilt over plate/lateral tilt and turn takes place at heel drop. X-factor stretch is created through the combination of hips leading AND scap loading as the hands/arms get a running start (my preference) which may include a tip and rip upper torso loading. As launch is underway, the hands get flat immediately through the reversal of elbow positions (back elbow slotting), with the front elbow getting into the pitch plane.

The ball is then hit in a palm up/palm down position on a slightly up swing path. That's the way I see it, anyway. This stuff is difficult, for me at least, to write about and explain. I need my friend Tom here.

Mike

May 27, 2008
Indiana
Man, I "gots" to respond to this post by HitIt29...

Have you seen Mike Candrea's mini-clip on Right View Pro? It defines a few key elements of hitting. Have you noticed that all of the top softball programs take a linear approach to hitting? UNLV's coach has been teaching linear acceleration for years. That program has really accelerated upon the arrival of Coach Santiago. Send me your thoughts. I would like to hear how you define the stride motion & it's true function. There are a lot of myths about the stride ( both technique & purpose ) Thanks.

Have you noticed that all of the top softball programs take a linear approach to hitting?

They do?? First of all, I guess you should define linear...what is a linear approach to hitting? Because I have to strongly disagree with your opinion unless you define it differently than I do.

UNLV's coach has been teaching linear acceleration for years. That program has really accelerated upon the arrival of Coach Santiago.

That is unfortunate to hear about UNLV's program. So Coach Santiago does not teach MLB swing mechanics? Because Coach Candrea says the fastpitch swing is the MLB swing...and it ain't linear.

I, for one, would be greatly interested in the myths about the stride.

Thanks,
Mike

Jun 9, 2008
Tony Gwynn in his book "The Art of Hitting" says about hitting the INSIDE pitch (pg 84) "I don't turn my hips. I do all of the same things- get the front foot down softly, hands to the cocked position, bring the knob of the bat to the ball- but I let the swing go and use my NATURAL quickness to hit the ball." Also, on page 68 Gwynn states... " You'll be surprised how much bat speed you can generate by letting the knob lead the way."

May 27, 2008
Indiana
Posey,

I would submit that if you look at the best in the world, they don't have knob of the bat leading the way. And respectfully speaking, I don't have to have played at a high level to know this and see this in slo-mo vdieo of the best.

Hips lead the way - that is the most efficient way to transfer momentum up the chain by using the larger muscles of the core. Sure, you can lead with your hands and generate bat speed, but it will be late batspeed and there will be a certain amount of bat drag involved, IMO. I know a lot of ML'ers talk about hand strength and hand quickness, and I believe the hands are very active in the swing - but the hips lead the way. With a connected, hips leading the way swing with the intent to hit the ball hard, you will have not only bat speed but bat quickness.

Mike

Jun 9, 2008
But what you are saying is that you have to consciously throw your hips to start your swing and I am telling you that you do not. IT HAPPENS NATURALLY as you push off of your back foot and throw your hands inside the ball. Again, if you ask any good hitters what they are thinking when they are practicing their swings... it will not be their hips starting! I just talked to Jessica Mendoza yesterday about this and she said the exact same thing! Her statement was "I focus on my back foot drive and front arm pull... the worst thing is to think about your hips bc it pulls you off the ball."

Jun 9, 2008
One more thing Mike,

Respectfully, how can you argue against these people like Tony Gwynn who have dedicated their entire lives to study hitting? Tony Gwynn in his book said that he would test out his theories of hitting by taking THOUSANDS of swings. If you are unable to test your theory... it is just that... a theory! That is why it is important for you to have played at the higher levels... bc then you can test out your theory on hips leading. If not... everything you base your arguments on is irrevelant.

Jun 10, 2008
Slapper 23,
Tell me your definition of a linear swing. Maybe we are on the same page, just using different terms. Are you saying that Candrea, UNLV & most MLB hitters DON'T take a linear approach? NEWSFLASH : THEY DO !! I'm sure that the top hitters in the game don't intentionally try to swing in a circle to get to the ball.

Jun 10, 2008
Posey,
How would you like to schedule a game against Slapper23's team? If he has a whole team full of players that rotate to hit. Your worst pitcher will throw a shut out. Even average pitching will expose weak hitting. Just don't throw any change ups, that's about the right speed for " SPINNERS " to hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp