Hitting hip and throwing inside

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I'm no technical expert. I'm just a Dad. I've listened. I've read. I've learned to pitch myself while helping my DD during her journey. I am a huge huge fan of K.I.S.S. And have been lucky to have had some very smart Pitching Coaches aid my daughter.

Here is my $0.02.

1st - LOVE the pitching out of the glove. I'm such a fan of this. BUT, in my opinion, her ball hand comes out way too early. Watch Jordy Bahl. She is a prime example of keeping the hands together. Have your pitcher keep her hands together for as long as possible. During practice, so much so that she keeps them together at (or above) the catchers head before separating. A potential simple reason for her issue, is that her arm is late. Which means she's behind her hips and her arm/hand cannot orientate correctly. They are trapped behind the hip essentially.

2nd - Hips are ideally 45-deg(ish) at release. The perception that she's closing them completely could be due to #1.....the arm is simply a touch late and the hips close before the arm gets through.

3rd - Her stride leg could be stronger at toe touch/release. There is a lot of bend in the knee and you see her "sink" at release. I'd encourage this to be a focus point as well.

Why do I say this #1 & 2? I dealt with it when I was learning to pitch. My DD also dealt with it when transitioning from swing back to pitching out of the glove. When we both practiced keeping the hands together as long as possible, the issue went away. Accuracy got better. I stopped dealing with shoulder soreness from trying to muscle the arm through to catch up. DD saw better 12/6-ish rotation.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022
One more comparison and one more suggestion and I will leave you to your working with your daughter.

The comparison Jordy Bahl compared to your daughter.

My suggestion. Forget about the hips shoulders and everything else because until you fix your arm action i.e. getting both arms to do the same thing circling together your daughter will never reach your full potential my opinion.

All high level players have both their throwing arm and glove arm in syncretism as they create the circle.

I took a quick look at what were considered some of the best NCAA pitchers over the past 20 years or so (youtube ).

All of them glove arm follow circle of throwing arm. Some much more compact than today's players such as Bahl, but that's what they do.

Makes (to me) all the sense in the world because it creates in my opinion the best dynamic sequencing and transfer of the body to the ball.

So if your daughters delivery ever was close to having her glove side synchronized to her throwing side that's what I would revert to and start from there.

Big part of the problem is with her current glove side arm action as it is now she's basically pointed toward home plate the entire time which in my opinion predisposes her to stay open with her shoulders which traps are arm behind her.

The other thing is you can try playing around with hips and shoulders but you will never get the dynamic return on her ability to throw and by dynamic return I'm talking about velocity and believe it or not spin and control. Reason is because she will be more efficient and if you're more efficient you can throw harder with less effort.

Hope this is of some help if not to you hopefully somebody else.

Wow, really good post. Never noticed the glove before.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Is this similar to how Pickens throws?

Also Pickens is using her long frame and arms to her advantage; her arm circle is huge so the centripital force will generate a lot of speed with or without whip. Some of the men's pitchers I've seen like to keep a smaller circle; sometimes not even clearing their head height and then pulling down with a very bent elbow to generate a lot of whip action.

Nov 9, 2021
I'm with you on this, as much time as I have spent looking at video of the best college pitchers I have never really examined what the men do, until the 'Shoulder" thread, now I'm wondering if I've missed something. What they do is radically different from I have always considered good technique.

But, how the heck do you teach this, and beyond that since it is experimental, can I, in good conscience, select a student and give it a go?

If you do keep us posted. I would be very curious. It is not just a few that lean like that to the right. I am really intrigued why there is such a difference between men and women. Maybe there is just more than one way to do it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
1st - LOVE the pitching out of the glove. I'm such a fan of this. BUT, in my opinion, her ball hand comes out way too early. Watch Jordy Bahl. She is a prime example of keeping the hands together. Have your pitcher keep her hands together for as long as possible. During practice, so much so that she keeps them together at (or above) the catchers head before separating. A potential simple reason for her issue, is that her arm is late. Which means she's behind her hips and her arm/hand cannot orientate correctly. They are trapped behind the hip essentially.
I've talked to her about this and it's something that she will be working on as well.

3rd - Her stride leg could be stronger at toe touch/release. There is a lot of bend in the knee and you see her "sink" at release. I'd encourage this to be a focus point as well.
Agreed. The stabilization of the front leg has been somewhat of an issue for a long time. Amongst the other things, something else we are working on.

Thanks for your input!

May 21, 2018
Also Pickens is using her long frame and arms to her advantage; her arm circle is huge so the centripital force will generate a lot of speed with or without whip. Some of the men's pitchers I've seen like to keep a smaller circle; sometimes not even clearing their head height and then pulling down with a very bent elbow to generate a lot of whip action.
Another conundrum wrapped in an enigma. Is there a height/wingspan dimension that would help determine whether a large arm circle (centripetal force) or tight circle (more whip) is more beneficial to a specific pitcher?

I think Folkard is 6' 4" and seems to use a somewhat tight circle with elbow bend.

I know there are more than one way to do things, but I gotta believe, in the case of pitching, there is an "optimum" way to use your body. Just not sure exactly what that is or if it's the same for different body types, and are we talking significant advantages or just minimal.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I've talked to her about this and it's something that she will be working on as well.

Agreed. The stabilization of the front leg has been somewhat of an issue for a long time. Amongst the other things, something else we are working on.

Thanks for your input!

We called the stride leg the "brake" leg. As it's usage at that point is to keep everything except the ball from continuing forward. One mental thought that helped DD was a truck with oranges in the back coming to a stop. The harder and more abrupt the stop, the harder the oranges slammed to the front. The softer and more gentle the stop, the slower the oranges moved forward. Silly, but it worked for her.

Good luck to you and your pitcher!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles