Clearwater Invitational

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
As far as overall softball it has grown so much of a mishmash, things have gotten a lot watered down. Competitive levels across the average Community do not have the same competitive level as the top-tier bracket that is pretty much segmented themselves away from the bucket of average. A lot of teams do not have higher level examples in front of them.

Or I could say it this way
There is not enough challenge to force or create a requirement for a better competitive developed player because they can make it through the system as a level 5, or 6, player without needing to get better.

It is nice there is different levels of softball for everybody but it does not necessarily create an environment where everybody has to compete at their best potential.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021
IMHO it's the focus solely on velocity. DD plays high level 18U travel ball. See a ton of throwers, but not a ton of pitchers.

Some of the best pitchers she has faced did not throw anywhere near as fast as other girls. For me that is when the game gets fun...good pitcher vs smart hitter.

YMMV.

Apr 28, 2014
Do you have thoughts on why you think that is or what precisely is lacking? Is it velo? Something else? And do you have a sense of whether this is a new phenomenon?

Softball seems more popular than it has ever been, which you would think would lead to even more girls playing and thus a larger talent pool to ultimately recruit from. You would think that larger pool—just based on math—would produce relatively more elite pitchers than before not less.
We see it so much. A highly touted pitcher arrives on campus and it's a 50/50 at best prospect that'll she'll make it 2 years. So many rigors from training, classes, travel schedules, personal issues. When a pitcher is in the portal they have a resume that the next coach can see. They have a proven track record and coaches want that, especially since they probably have a 50/50 freshman or two coming in. Too many risk factors.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2014
IMHO it's the focus solely on velocity. DD plays high level 18U travel ball. See a ton of throwers, but not a ton of pitchers.

Some of the best pitchers she has faced did not throw anywhere near as fast as other girls. For me that is when the game gets fun...good pitcher vs smart hitter.

YMMV.
💯
Seen more power pitchers getting beaten using speed alone. It is easier for a power pitcher when the zone is really tight as they can blow a few by a batter. But when the zone is called fairly the pitcher with less velo but who moves the ball, changes speeds and eye levels can be very effective.

Apr 14, 2022
Within 30 days I predict a thread discussion on a 12u team with 3 pitchers throwing 60, 5 pitches each locating them all.

What I noticed is low number of first pitch strikes. Even charts that attempt to show at bats that end with the count. They might show a .320 average, but do not show that is only 10-15% of at bats.

Not calling many strikes above the waist.

Something is juiced. Saw pop ups carry 180’ line drives that stayed low reach the wall.

I wonder if extra covid years, easier to get underclass hitters at bats at the college level than pitchers?

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
As far as overall softball it has grown so much of a mishmash, things have gotten a lot watered down. Competitive levels across the average Community do not have the same competitive level as the top-tier bracket that is pretty much segmented themselves away from the bucket of average. A lot of teams do not have higher level examples in front of them.

Or I could say it this way
There is not enough challenge to force or create a requirement for a better competitive developed player because they can make it through the system as a level 5, or 6, player without needing to get better.

It is nice there is different levels of softball for everybody but it does not necessarily create an environment where everybody has to compete at their best potential.
I hear what you are saying, but how does a level 5 or level 6 girl (assuming a 1-10 scale) end up at Florida State or LSU or other elite, say, Top 30 programs? Don’t these high-level coaches all know the national teams and national tournaments where presumably the level 8-10 players are playing? PGF Premier, Alliance Nationals, Power Pools in CO, Gold Nationals, etc. Even if these marquee tournaments have been “watered down” by the number of teams attending, those who know, know and the best teams end up playing one another don’t they?

Or are you saying there just aren’t enough level 8-10 players to go around despite all of the above?

Oct 14, 2019

YMMV.
In Power 5 softball, they do both.

May 27, 2013
I hear what you are saying, but how does a level 5 or level 6 girl (assuming a 1-10 scale) end up at Florida State or LSU or other elite, say, Top 30 programs? Don’t these high-level coaches all know the national teams and national tournaments where presumably the level 8-10 players are playing? PGF Premier, Alliance Nationals, Power Pools in CO, Gold Nationals, etc. Even if these marquee tournaments have been “watered down” by the number of teams attending, those who know, know and the best teams end up playing one another don’t they?

Or are you saying there just aren’t enough level 8-10 players to go around despite all of the above?

Traps, we are seeing it even at the D3 level now. The hitters are good and pitchers who don’t hone their craft or work to improve on their own in the off-season get a serious wake up call when they get to game-time. We may not see the velocity that you’ll see at the D1 level but it’s the pitchers with the spin and movement and ability to hit spots who see the most success. We absolutely see the smaller strike zone and players who LOVE to crowd the plate. Better be able to locate that inside pitch with precision or it will get tagged every time.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I really think female hitters as a whole have gotten so much better than they were say 10-20 years ago. Many of these players have pretty good swings. If what Gayewski said is true about the ball being juiced, that can make a very big difference! It is early in the season, many teams are throwing their 3,4, and 5 pitchers trying to figure out who can really pitch at that level. Add in the bat tech, and you get what you saw this weekend.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I really think female hitters as a whole have gotten so much better than they were say 10-20 years ago. Many of these players have pretty good swings. If what Gayewski said is true about the ball being juiced, that can make a very big difference! It is early in the season, many teams are throwing their 3,4, and 5 pitchers trying to figure out who can really pitch at that level. Add in the bat tech, and you get what you saw this weekend.
The difference in ball, IMO, can be as much as 10 to 20 percent. In the worse case senerio, that's the normal 195 foot flyball will traveling 230 plus feet. Hardness matters.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles