Clearwater Invitational

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
This event has turned into an offensive showcase with homers and runs scored far surpassing totals from previous years. I'm wondering if this is due to a cyclical fall off in the quality of the pitching, or an increase in the quality of the hitting. They also have a pitch clock, the hitter has 10 seconds to get in the box and the pitcher must throw the pitch by 20 seconds. Could the clock be having an effect?

Apr 8, 2019
This event has turned into an offensive showcase with homers and runs scored far surpassing totals from previous years. I'm wondering if this is due to a cyclical fall off in the quality of the pitching, or an increase in the quality of the hitting. They also have a pitch clock, the hitter has 10 seconds to get in the box and the pitcher must throw the pitch by 20 seconds. Could the clock be having an effect?
or is it the ball?

Aug 9, 2021
Regardless, it appears the weather was the clear winner. Today's games cancelled, tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Oct 14, 2019
I’d say a serious drop off in top end pitching. I saw a masterpiece there last year with Fouts of Alabama squaring off against Sandercock of Florida State. UCLA was there last year and had Feraimo as their ace. Tennessee lost Ashley Rogers. Oklahoma State lost Maxwell. Canady is still at Stanford and continues to dominate.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
FSU's pitching isn't so good. They need Reid to figure it out real quick or else it's going to be a long season.
I was watching the game against Georgia and couldn’t believe the number of free passes given up. I didn’t think the ump’s zone was really the issue, a lot of the pitches were not competitive in terms of location.

May 27, 2013
I was watching the game against Georgia and couldn’t believe the number of free passes given up. I didn’t think the ump’s zone was really the issue, a lot of the pitches were not competitive in terms of location.
Yeah, sometimes watching these games leaves me shaking my head. I’ve seen a LOT of walks from some of the pitchers I’ve been following. Some who were very effective with low walks in HS - and you’re right - the pitches just aren’t competitive. I wonder if they are overthrowing instead of trusting spin and location?

ETA: DD’s freshman year that seemed to be her problem. Strike zone seemed a little tighter and with every player being a good hitter, they were way more disciplined. She tended to overthrow instead of trusting what she could do.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022
I was there last year and I thought there was a lot of offense, but this year it's ridiculous. I think the fact that so many top end pitchers graduated is playing a big part in the increased scoring. Those dominant pitchers limited opportunities for a lot of other pitchers to develop in-game experience over the last 2-3 years. Additionally, girls are getting more and more used to seeing pitchers who throw 68-72, plus bat technology continuing to improve. Put that all together and it's not surprising that scoring is up.

May 18, 2019
Kenny Gayeski at OSU said in an interview that the balls were hard as "marbles". I watched like 10 games on TV and my assessment is that the strike zone was really tight leading to walks and pitchers behind in counts catching barrels. The balls were also juiced as kenny suggested despite supposed lower compression at 375. I saw a smallish girl come about five feet from a home run on a check swing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles