I am now a true believer in EvoShield

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2010
I am all for protection even if it just makes the kid and parent feel better. Something that should be looked at is the growing fad of playing up. I hear all time of a 13 or 14 yr old playing 18u and wonder if it is the right thing to allow. There are risks at any sport and nothing is going to protect the athletes from every scenario. I also think a false sense of security is also a bad thing. Look at the technology in football helments and all the concussions that happen.

Apr 1, 2010
DD has worn one since they came out. Even in the heat she doesnt take it off as she forgets its there.

She pitches in it too.

She has been saved many bruises and possible fractures through the months. Everytime she gets hit with the ball she never misses a beat.

if all it does is save bruised meat, muscle, organs, bone its still worth it.

Ken, does K wear it even when she's not pitching?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
They would be great for those gals that dive head first into the bags, because of the chest protection. I just realized what the material feels like. It feels like, but doesn't look like what a man's cup is made of. Now, if those are hot or heavy, my kids never said anything after day one of wearing it.

Jul 2, 2013
I am all for protection even if it just makes the kid and parent feel better. Something that should be looked at is the growing fad of playing up. I hear all time of a 13 or 14 yr old playing 18u and wonder if it is the right thing to allow. There are risks at any sport and nothing is going to protect the athletes from every scenario. I also think a false sense of security is also a bad thing. Look at the technology in football helments and all the concussions that happen.

Please don't recommend players should not play up for safety reasons. Great hitters need to play with the big girls when there bodies are near full size (13 year-old). See the best pitching out there, and get used to hitting them.

The PRIMARY problem is pitchers (parents) playing up against competition where they are totally over-matched. Rec ball pitchers, and B level pitchers, jumping in against a top notch A-level power hitter. Grooving the ball, and not even realizing how dangerous it is.

Last edited:
May 10, 2010
Please don't recommend players should not play up for safety reasons. Great hitters need to play with the big girls when there bodies are near full size (13 year-old). See the best pitching out there, and get used to hitting them.

The PRIMARY problem is pitchers (parents) playing up against competition where they are totally over-matched. Rec ball pitchers, and B level pitchers, jumping in against a top notch A-level power hitter. Grooving the ball, and not even realizing how dangerous it is.
Agree totally, I could have worded it better. I just hate seeing kids put in situations that are way over their heads.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
There is no scientific research that proves these work.

Hard bat + Hard Ball + Young Developing age = I recommend EVO Shield. It is a great product. I would hate to pitch with broken ribs or a broken wrist from a stray foul tip or high inside pitch. For this reason, it is a great product. All my players wear them as it is a confidence builder for the younger ages. It does disperse the pressure of a hit across a larger surface thus reducing the blow. It does work.

That said, I agree that it is not going to stop those players that get hit and have the hit cause a heart sinus rhythm issue (CC) thus killing them. That is another discussion altogether. One that involve parks keeping defibrillators on hand and easily accessible.

Our parks system recently sent an email telling all coaches where they are available should something ever happen during a practice or game.....LOCKED UP IN ONE BUILDING THAT IS ONLY CONVENIENT TO 4 fields and not the other 4 clear across the park. I replied asking how we access them if an emergency. I was told, there is always a park worker on hand.....I said....Yeah a teenager sitting in a shed in the back of the park with no way fro me to contact them. Even if we got them it would take them too long to get up there and unlock to be used in order to have any positive impact. :) Gotta love it!

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2012
I understand the idea behind this is to protect the heart and hopefully prevent it from stopping due to a line drive, but an added benefit would be protecting some ribs also. A broken rib may not kill you but they surely hurt and will keep a DD out of the game for quite some time.
Why is there even an arguement over wearing this and a facemask for that matter? I have seen posts where people insinuate that their DD ids too good a player to get nailed..... really? My DD doesn't pitch without a facemask ... period. In my opinion any parent who would send their 10 yr old DD out to pitch without a mask is not a very good parent. May as well cut the seat belts out of car she rides in also,, no need for those either. geesh...

Aug 20, 2013
In the end, a face mask is there to keep them safe and avoid injuries, but still may not protect them from death and we still use them. Why wouldn't you spend $90 to help your pitcher, your child, from pain and suffering? In this country we use and buy a lot of crap that has no scientific research to back it up. The poster has provided a clear instance that this product avoided serious pain and injury and had her right back in the game. Arguing and debating can be fun, but not when a child's safety is on the line.

GG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan