I am now a true believer in EvoShield

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
Probably none that says they don't either. So , what is the problem with being on the side of caution?

Why not wear a clown nose instead?

Yes the research has shown, and the companies that make these agree they cannot stop or reduce the chance of Commotio Cordis.

So if your goal is to protect your child from bumps and bruises than buy one of these (why not wear shin guards as well?).

If this gives you a peace of mind (while understanding that it offers no protection from that line drive to the heart) than buy one of these.

Or alternatively as suggested by doctors and researchers save the $90 and do the following:

1. Have a medical emergency plan in place for all games and practices.
2. Take (or retake) a CPR refresher course
3. Invest in a portable defibrillator.

Hopefully one day they will make an effective heart/chest guard, but I don't see how when you actually understand what the problem is.

It's a balance between, hot bats, hard balls and better trained athletes that makes this a tough subject to tackle without neutering the game we all love.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
4. Buy an Evo Shield

Mine always wears one when I know she's going to face older girls, she's 14U and sometimes faces 17 year olds. If nothing else SHE feels better with it and that's all that matters!

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
My daughter has never pitched in a game without an evoshield. It's just part of what she wears. She has got nailed in the ribs while up to bat and smiled at the pitcher all the way down the first base line. Ask my daughter who had the upper hand after that at bat!

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
(why not wear shin guards as well?).

It's a balance between, hot bats, hard balls and better trained athletes that makes this a tough subject to tackle without neutering the game we all love.

I don't know - let's ask the male pitchers in slow pitch why they're such wimps for wearing shin guards.

Neutering? Really?

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
My daughter played 23u this last weekend in a tournament filled with d-1, d-2 pitchers. A pitcher on her team that was very top level, and extremely athletic. Lifted some serious weights and was very fast and fit.
I am positive her relex's were as fast as any female on the planet....
She wore a game face when she pitched. I thought she was smart for doing it

My daughters team made it to the finals and faced 7 teams. 2 pitchers had face protection.

Straightleg

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Neutering? Really?

I don't think heart guards are neutering the game. My point with the heart guards is that much like the power bracelets that are so popular, if you "think" they help, great. But understand their limitations and what they can and can't do.

If we were to go to wood bats, soft/squishy balls, and double home plates that would be neutering the game.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
There is no amount of research that these devices protect against sudden cardiac arrhythmia and death. The number of cases per year are too rare, so there is no sample size large enough to be able to demonstrate with statistical significance that these decrease the risk of death. In fact, there are cases of catchers with chest protectors on that were unfortunately hit in the chest over the heart at the right (or wrong) point in the cardiac cycle to cause an arrhythmia.

My point in posting this anecdote is that this pitcher had no chance to protect herself, and would have been seriously injured, if not killed, without it. I think it's value speaks for itself given that she took a rocket shot square in the chest and was NOT injured. I bought one for my DD two years ago as an overprotective parent. I am glad I made the investment even though she has not had a similar incident.

Oct 25, 2009
Why not wear a clown nose instead?

Yes the research has shown, and the companies that make these agree they cannot stop or reduce the chance of Commotio Cordis.

So if your goal is to protect your child from bumps and bruises than buy one of these (why not wear shin guards as well?).

If this gives you a peace of mind (while understanding that it offers no protection from that line drive to the heart) than buy one of these.

Or alternatively as suggested by doctors and researchers save the $90 and do the following:

Hopefully one day they will make an effective heart/chest guard, but I don't see how when you actually understand what the problem is.

Why alternatively? Do it all!

May 17, 2012
There is no amount of research that these devices protect against sudden cardiac arrhythmia and death. The number of cases per year are too rare, so there is no sample size large enough to be able to demonstrate with statistical significance that these decrease the risk of death. In fact, there are cases of catchers with chest protectors on that were unfortunately hit in the chest over the heart at the right (or wrong) point in the cardiac cycle to cause an arrhythmia.

My point in posting this anecdote is that this pitcher had no chance to protect herself, and would have been seriously injured, if not killed, without it. I think it's value speaks for itself given that she took a rocket shot square in the chest and was NOT injured. I bought one for my DD two years ago as an overprotective parent. I am glad I made the investment even though she has not had a similar incident.

No. The research has been done. Please take the emotion out of it and read the facts. If it makes your or your daughter "feel" better, great, I do understand. Don't be under the illusion that it's actually providing protection from something fatal.

"Current commercially available chest barriers are not sufficiently effective in preventing chest-blow–induced sudden cardiac death and, in fact, probably offer only a false sense of security to athletes, families, and the general public. Therefore, the efforts described herein to produce an effective chest barrier to prevent commotio cordis deserve our attention and support."

Source: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/122/2/437.full.pdf

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1