"A line drive straight to my face" By Ashley Pais

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Riseball ( in a good way ) reminds me of my own daughter, with our conversations about possibly using a mask, she always had a "list" why she just refused to even consider it. I honored those reasons, as a former pitcher I never used a mask either. She was very much like this young lady, finally took a face shot her senior year, after pitching for 10 years.

After her injury, the negative list disappeared. She was "pro-mask". The other night I asked her if she had a daughter who wanted to pitch, would she opt for a mask? She said, "from day one, I don't want her to know any different than it's a simple added layer of protection".

Looks like she will be a better parent than I was. :(

IMO, your biggest mistake was not making her a catcher - lefty FP catchers are hot commodities!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
IMO, your biggest mistake was not making her a catcher - lefty FP catchers are hot commodities!

She would have never made it out of rec being a catcher. Once in TB when we got ahead against a weak team, she caught. ( she always wanted to try it, and I moved a lot of players "out of normal position" ) She looked like a poster child for the special Olympics. After the inning she said, "dang, that's harder than it looks". :)

May 18, 2009
DD got a rip it mask today. She had one that she didn't like before. Monday night we played and coach had her throw around 10 change ups. One got ripped up the middle at her head. She asked for the mask after the game.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD got a rip it mask today. She had one that she didn't like before. Monday night we played and coach had her throw around 10 change ups. One got ripped up the middle at her head. She asked for the mask after the game.

Glad your DD did not have to take a ride in an ambulance to change her mind!

She doesn't like masks never has, I'll ask you where does it stop, full body armor? Its not my choice its hers. Maybe these poor helpless girls should just give up softball altogether, I mean they might get hurt.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
She doesn't like masks never has, I'll ask you where does it stop, full body armor? Its not my choice its hers. Maybe these poor helpless girls should just give up softball altogether, I mean they might get hurt.

It is not really her "choice" until she turns 18....

May 18, 2009
DD played with the mask for two innings while playing SS tonight. Took it off in the third and wore it for 2 innings while pitching. She's very happy to have it and I'm relieved that she's wearing it. A pitcher is usually the closest position to the ball. I wish the game would make the common sense move to mandate a mask.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD played with the mask for two innings while playing SS tonight. Took it off in the third and wore it for 2 innings while pitching. She's very happy to have it and I'm relieved that she's wearing it. A pitcher is usually the closest position to the ball. I wish the game would make the common sense move to mandate a mask.

As a parent I would "mandate" my DD wear a mask while pitching or playing 3B.

Mar 15, 2013
She doesn't like masks never has, I'll ask you where does it stop, full body armor? Its not my choice its hers. Maybe these poor helpless girls should just give up softball altogether, I mean they might get hurt.[/QUOTE

Wow! This and some of the other responses on here are just unbelievable IMO. My DD wears a mask pitching and I dont give a cr*p what any coach, kid, parent or fool says about it. She is a great pitcher and has great reflexes but sh*t can happen. I have seen it with my own 2 eyes..Last year saw a pitcher take one right in the forehead...knocked her off her feet and dented her facemask..THANK GOD she had the mask on or the dent would have been in her head...and her concussion would probably have been a more serious brain injury. I was there I saw it..the ball was out if her hand and them in her face..she had NO time to react..if you ever see such a thing you won't be criticizing the player you will be like me and every other person who witnessed it PRAYING she is ok while trying not to vomit because you are so afraid for the child and parents.
I don't push masks on anyone..my kid is a pitcher and she wears one. Her Ks and W's speak for themselves so if a coach doesn't want her that will be their loss

Nov 3, 2012
My DD is a 13 year old pitcher, wears a mask and she has never has complained about it. Im glad she wears it. A poster make a good point that a lot of girls dont wear the mask when they get past 14U. Never thought much about it before, now this kind of scares me that one day she might not want to wear the mask. Ill have to think about that one and deal with it as it will probably happen.

Interesting that masks aren't regulated like bats or catchers gear. Im not sure how effective they are, but If I got hit in the face Id rather have a mask on then not. I feel bad for the original girl who wrote the post and hope she does well, and thank her for her unique perspective.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles