Am I wrong.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
xgent, got nothing against players playing for other teams when available! Just thought your normal team might be bothered by all the time you spend with other teams as in an earlier thread you mentioned you were practicing with "4 teams". Just sounds like a good way for conflict to start! Sounds like daughter is a solid player!

my DD plays for a 14u B registered ASA team, we are not playing in any USSSA tourney's or any national qualifying tournaments except the RingNeck, my daughter has only been picked up by 12u teams which my daughter is eligible for due to the fact we are a registered B team and she is age eligible and not playing in any qualifier tourney's as a pick up player which I may be wrong but I think you cant use pick up players for qualifiers?, but since the rule change about age eligibility and the fact that she could play in 12u cause we are a B team that opened the door big time for these other teams to pick her up. so that being said we play with a primary team and practice with said team that team comes first period. all the teams that have picked her up know this and we act accordingly to what her main team is doing. now I have never influenced our coach in practice times, which tourneys to enter etc. etc. what I simply did was email our schedule to the teams wanting to pick up my daughter and they in turn they emailed me their schedule's for their practices etc. if we could make it to their practices or what not we did if not and their was a conflict with my DDs main team we didn't. and with our coach not doing a lot of tourneys in either April or May she got tons of playing time and mound time traveling to these other tourney's I mentioned earlier in my post. Believe me when I say we are totally legal as we have been checked time and time again. Yes Mn, I believe he is considering the league games practice but when you win ea league game by scores like 20-1 on a consistent basis that's not practice now if he were practicing plays, slap bunts, bunting , defensive plays. etc I would say its a practice but it usually goes like this cause its a dbl header once a week he usually will pitch my DD first, boy hard to not sound offensive here. but in no way should we be in this league. anyway 99% of the time they are way behind my DD and lucky to scratch a hit out. infield never gets any practice nor the outfield for that matter so hence the kids literally other than batting get zero experience and I should mention im guessing here but I would say the hardest ive seen thrown from the opponents is around 40 tops.2nd game with our other pitcher pretty much same story other than she gets hit a little more. as for committing to nationals how can I do that when our hc cant even commit to a local tournament instead goes hunting, or fishing , well next week he's going to the twins game hehe. :) yes dusty I do believe it bothers my DDs hc but like I said he set the schedual on games practices etc. and we haven't missed one obligation to the team.

Jun 1, 2013
If you're just playing the local circuit, then nothing is stopping you from signing whatever roster you feel like signing each weekend. You mentioned USSSA as one of the sanctioning organizations for which your daughter is playing. Once you sign a USSSA roster, you can't play for another USSSA team in a sanctioned event until released by the first team and picked up by the second team. ASA PGF and NSA work similarly. If you're moonlighting DD between teams in sanctioned tournaments, you're likely putting both teams at risk. If the two teams play in different organizations, then you're golden.

As far as commitment goes, it sounds like you're doing a lot of work for one of the teams. The question I have is, have you ever had to tell one of the team's coaches that you couldn't attend a practice or game because of a conflict with the other team? Have you ever suggested not scheduling something for one of the teams because you already had a commitment for the other? I have a hard time believing that there has never been a single time where both teams haven't had a tournament the same weekend, or practice on the same night.

Finally, I agree, the more softball the better. Just make sure both coaches are aware of it and that any possible negative consequences to either team are avoided.

Edit: edited to remove any response to possible name-calling or escalation thereof.

You are incorrect on your statement that player has to be released. Player can be rostered on any team and fill out paperwork to pickup and be totally legit (As long as age and class appropriate) in any qualifying event. Actually the only real rule is that a pickup player has to be rostered with someone before you can pick them up or you have to roster them yourself. The only time pickup players are not allowed is in State Tournaments.

You are incorrect on your statement that player has to be released. Player can be rostered on any team and fill out paperwork to pickup and be totally legit (As long as age and class appropriate) in any qualifying event. Actually the only real rule is that a pickup player has to be rostered with someone before you can pick them up or you have to roster them yourself. The only time pickup players are not allowed is in State Tournaments.
I believe that's not totally correct either reason why I say this is a team wanted to pick up my DD for the USSSA tourney here in Sioux falls in a couple weeks but the director told us they couldn't, due to the fact that it was a qualifier.

thanks for the info, I passed it along but it does say at the bottom (State Directors have the final say on accepting or denying any pick up players from that team’s roster for the weekend.) but I don't know if the team talked to the state director or just the tourney director and personally Idk if they are one in the same.

Jun 1, 2013
I believe that's not totally correct either reason why I say this is a team wanted to pick up my DD for the USSSA tourney here in Sioux falls in a couple weeks but the director told us they couldn't, due to the fact that it was a qualifier.

I provided the link because at the bottom it says "due to the fact it was a qualifier" which is in direct conflict with the stated rules. For a state director to override those rules there has to be some extenuating circumstances and State Directors do not have final say if they are operating contrary to the rules. They have people to answer to as well. Rule 4.2 on that link is wrong as stated. It is only permissible to use an "A" player on a "B" team (regardless of age) unless it is in an "Open" tournament format. If your dd is going to be a pickup player on a regular basis you may as well become well versed in the rules.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan