I am now a true believer in EvoShield

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 7, 2013
New Jersey
GG I completely agree. If there is equipment out there that won't impair how they play but will still keep them safe, then why not? The equipment isn't just there because these players are afraid of getting hurt, but rather because where they can get injured could be life threatening. A line drive to the chest or head could cause instant, serious damage. My younger sister had some close calls, and when our Uncle was hit with a line drive to the head in a slow pitch game, resulting in brain damage, she decided an EvoShield and a pitchers helmet would be worn from now on. Both pieces of equipment were designed to not get in the way of play, and her pitchers mask (http://pitchershelmet.com) has new technology to blackout sun glare and give the ability to see the field without visual obstructions. Neither has effected how she pitches/plays, but she is much more comfortable on the mound.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
A line drive to the chest or head could cause instant, serious damage.

The point made throughout this thread is that these products do not protect you from the above.

If it makes you *feel* better to wear them, then great. If it protects you from a few bumps and bruises, then great.

Just be aware of what it does and doesn't do.

Apr 3, 2011
My DD has used The Evoshield Razorback shirt and protectors for the last 3 or 4 years.
I was fortunate enough to find it one night searching for some protection that would make her feel more comfortable while taking ground balls.
I ordered one and had it shipped overnight, the day after it arrived we left for a triple crown tourney in colorado.

After using it for 5 or 6 games we were at the all american games and I saw the logo for evoshield, they were one of the vendors.
Took DD over and she got to meet the lady that designed the shirt. It was pretty cool.

Would it protect her from everything, NO.
It gave her more confidence, which in turn allowed her to learn and use correct mechanics while fielding.
It also was thin that no one noticed she was wearing it.
If I had to do it all over again I would in a heartbeat. I had previously purchased several protective shirts, pads etc trying to find one she was comfortable with.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
There is no scientific research that proves these work.

Nothing works on the issues of stopping the heart. It is a timing issue. However, do they stop you from getting broken ribs, deep tissue bruising and worse injuries. YES. My entire team wears them. If only for confidence and to aide in not allowing fear of injury to limit them hey are worth it. When on they are also the only product no one can see you have on.

Jul 17, 2012
You'll never find any hardcore scientific research wording prevention of the injury or death. Can't happen. It's not a fixed force that causes the injury.... The only thing that can be measured is the level of energy that the protective gear can absorb. Those disclaimers on the websites are there so that folks KNOW that the risk cannot be completely eliminated... it can be mitigated. For those that say they don't help... I disagree. They don't prevent injury...they reduce the risk of injury.

The best rememedy (in my opinion) is to teach kids how to react in addition to wearing protective gear. You can train a kid to go from pitching a ball 40 MPH to 65 by working on it... practicing... training. Why in gods name don't we spend time teaching them to react to a line drive to protect themselves?!? I know I personally do a drill where DD pitches to me and DW stands at about half the distance slightly off to the side and fires wiffle balls at DD a split second after she releases the ball to teach her how to defend herself. She throws them at her shins to teach her to get out of the way... and throws them at her torso to teach her how to get her glove and hand up to protect herself. Yeah.. I prefer a few broken fingers over a cardiac contusion. Shots to the head she's told to keep chin down move away at the waist and get the glove up in front of her face. The goal is not to catch the ball... just to have it his something other than her. If she catches it... great. She got corked right and left when we first started... now that she's been training... she gets the glove on the ball pretty consistantly, or can get the legs out of the way. Once again... every line drive is not avoidable, but she's better prepared to defend herself against one that may have gotten her had she not practiced it.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
GunnerShotgun, the report you cited states that the chest protector for catchers in baseball does not prevent Commotio Cordis. So, not even catchers are protected from that condition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan