"A line drive straight to my face" By Ashley Pais

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
I find some of these posts to be amusing, clearly taking the easy stance. If so many people are outraged my question would be do you let your DD's play in games where the other team isn't wearing masks? How deep are your convictions regarding wearing masks?

It's OK for other girls to get hit as long as it's not yours? Do you protest games or write the governing bodies advocating for the wearing of masks by all players?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Gunner, I can only speak for myself. I care about all of the players but care the most about the girls on my team and my dd. They have parents to worry about them and give them guidance. That doesn't mean that I would not be troubled if anyone was hurt. My dd can turn on a ball and so, I do get scared when/if a 3b scoots in. Just this year, she turned on one and the 3b from another college caught the ball via self defense and then became pretty emotional. Why they were playing in was stupid on their part and I'm so glad that the result was an out for my dd and not a trip to the hospital for the other girl. Per my own child, I made those decisions when she was growing up and I would take her off of a team if I thought that she was in danger. I'm not the type to complain and then not take action. I am so thankful that my dd listens to me. For example, we just had a new mouth guard made for her. It is the type that has the jell which many are saying absorbs a blow to the mouth better and so she is more protected. She had the old football type. She has always worn that one. When we brought her the new one, she knew that dad made a decision and she was going to wear the new one.

I've rushed on the field with my daughter laying on the ground after receiving a line drive to the face two times. We bought her a mask and she wore it. She didn't like it. I made that decision. I am the parent and she is my child. Those other players you speak of have parents. They make those decisions for their kids. BTW, I don't need the government, any ruling body, etc. to decide what is best for me and mine when it comes to face mask. I hope that no child ever gets hit in the face or heart again. You know what, we are one line drive away from our sport seeing a tragic event and it is going to happen.

Nov 3, 2012
I find some of these posts to be amusing, clearly taking the easy stance. If so many people are outraged my question would be do you let your DD's play in games where the other team isn't wearing masks? How deep are your convictions regarding wearing masks?

It's OK for other girls to get hit as long as it's not yours? Do you protest games or write the governing bodies advocating for the wearing of masks by all players?

GunnerShotgun,

Whats the history of bringing proposals such as wearing a mask to various regulating boards. This issue has been around a while.
Have they voted this down and deemed it unneccassaary. Im sure someone submitted a proposal. My vote is for mandatory masks in the infield and Ill be glad to sign the petition.

The last thing I want to see is a girl get hurt, but I've never felt bad about playing against other players without them. You did make me think about it. I think the "protesting games method" for the other team not wearing a mask would result in some sort or retalitory ridicule. I agree we need a movement.

Last edited:

About Them

Awaiting genuis pills
Aug 30, 2011
Chicago Suburbs
I've rushed on the field with my daughter laying on the ground after receiving a line drive to the face two times. We bought her a mask and she wore it. She didn't like it. I made that decision. I am the parent and she is my child. Those other players you speak of have parents. They make those decisions for their kids. BTW, I don't need the government, any ruling body, etc. to decide what is best for me and mine when it comes to face mask. I hope that no child ever gets hit in the face or heart again. You know what, we are one line drive away from our sport seeing a tragic event and it is going to happen.

Cannonball, I believe this is the best (should be the final) response to the OP.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
My DD is a 13 year old pitcher, wears a mask and she has never has complained about it. Im glad she wears it. A poster make a good point that a lot of girls dont wear the mask when they get past 14U. Never thought much about it before, now this kind of scares me that one day she might not want to wear the mask. Ill have to think about that one and deal with it as it will probably happen.

Dealing with that very thing right now. DD has always worn a mask, but in the last week she had been pushing to drop it when playing 2B. She isn't asking to drop it when pitching (yet?). She is the only one on her new team that wears a mask when playing a position other than pitcher (ironically all pitchers wear one when in the circle). She feels the peer pressure and also believes that the coach is biased against fielders wearing a mask and with actions lately she may be correct.

Also of note, our 2B plays at the circle one step ahead of the pitcher on the rubber, so about 42' with a lefty slapper in the box. To me there is no real difference in this and when she is pitching. She may have a little better jump on reaction since she isn't following through on a pitch, but I consider that minimal at best.

However, this doesn't relieve my responsibility as a parent in deciding whether or not she will wear a mask at 2B. Discussions pending....

Edited: DD just turned 13 and is with a first year '00 14U team.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location

so if you have an opinion on something, but are not so ardent that you are campaigning for change or protesting, then you are somehow not entitled to that opinion? There is room enough to have an opinion on a topic without becoming a fanatic about it.

Dec 29, 2010
Let the thread go, opinions are like a--holes, everyone has one. 6 pages and what I c members getting all bent out of shape if someone doesnt agree with them. Who cares, its your dd not theirs.

Quick story, couple of days ago I heard a former teamate of my dd got hit in the face(varsity). Texting with the dad to see if she was alright. He said she was fine. She was playing 2nd base, ball took a bad hop, and hit her in the eye. Texted me a pic and you can see the stiches of the ball. No eye damage or broken bones, looked like Mike Tyson hit her with a left hook. I said were was her mask? She played tournament ball been all over and seen what hitters can do compared to rec and school ball. He told me the older girls were razzing her being uncool and peer pressure was too much for her. He let her make the decision.

May 17, 2012
so if you have an opinion on something, but are not so ardent that you are campaigning for change or protesting, then you are somehow not entitled to that opinion? There is room enough to have an opinion on a topic without becoming a fanatic about it.

So people who support and wear masks are fanatics? I feel like your argument is a straw man.

Opinions are not convictions.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
One time my dd and I were talking about how I get when I tell her to do something. I have never laid a hand on her for anything. I have never needed to. However, apparently I get the "face" and my voice gets stern. So, I explained to her that I get that way because I want to know that if I told her to stand still or move that she would do so when told to do it. I said, what if there were a snake or car around her and her safety was in jeopardy. I want to know that she is an obedient child. I told her to wear the face mask and that was that. I guess it made sense to her. She hated the face mask. I hated making her wear it but that is the difference between being a parent and biological. Parents make tough decisions.

Regarding the stigma of wearing a facemask, I can recall one coach telling her that she was giving away the perception to college coaches that she was nothing but a rec pitcher. It is good knowing that more and more colleges are changing their perception of those players wearing mask.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
So people who support and wear masks are fanatics? I feel like your argument is a straw man.

Opinions are not convictions.

WUH??? I did not put forth any argument, I was taking issue with your characterization that if you do not protest, refuse to play the game if the girls aren't wearing one, write letters to governing bodies etc. then you are somehow taking an "easy stance". Clearly having your kid wear a mask is not a fanatical thing to do. Protesting a game because other girls are not wearing them, as you suggested, would be pretty fanatical in my book.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles