"A line drive straight to my face" By Ashley Pais

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I wouldn't care if my pitcher wore a mask or not. Get the hitters out and you can wear complete catching gear for all I care.

You would think that this would be the prevailing thought process.
If you do your job who cares if it is with a mask or not, but that isn't the way it is.

May 18, 2009
Watching practice this past weekend and noticed a Dmarini bat that was smoking hot. If a batter is in the front of the box and the pitcher is 3 feet off the rubber that leaves about 30ft at 10U between the batter and the pitcher. Not sure how fast the ball comes off the bat or how little reaction time a player would have to catch or block a shot up the middle at their face.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My last post on this thread.

YOU CAN'T LEGISLATE COMMON SENSE! No one knows your dd better than you. Take the actions that are appropriate for you and yours!

Feb 17, 2014
WUH??? I did not put forth any argument, I was taking issue with your characterization that if you do not protest, refuse to play the game if the girls aren't wearing one, write letters to governing bodies etc. then you are somehow taking an "easy stance". Clearly having your kid wear a mask is not a fanatical thing to do. Protesting a game because other girls are not wearing them, as you suggested, would be pretty fanatical in my book.

Is it not a "stance" to require your DD to wear a mask when most are players are not.
Are you and your DD not setting an example for others by using a mask.

I would say most people have to be proven wrong about wearing a mask (someone getting hit) before they really consider the ramifications of a line drive to the face.

I had a girl in 12U that was playing second. She didn't wear a mask. On a routine ground ball, the ball hit something and bounced up and hit her in the forehead. Knocker her out basically. Her dad was talking to her and telling her to open her eyes. She kept saying they are open even tho they weren't. The next week she was wearing a mask on the infield. Led by the experience.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Hopefully the message of the importance of wearing a mask is received here and not all the little nit picks on how she coulda shoulda done this or that to avoid the ball....
Put a mask on, or find a different position. Period!
My dd thankfully has never been hit in the face but she did however take a shot right off her plant leg knee cap. A year later she still has trouble putting full weight on it. And the stress of protecting that knee is always in the front of her mind when she pitches now. I'm 1000 percent sure that if she could have protected herself she would have. But we're talking about less than a half second to gather yourself and look to defend... c'mon man. If its so easy, how bout you throw to me with out a screen or mask and then we'll see how easy it is.

May 18, 2009
Hopefully the message of the importance of wearing a mask is received here and not all the little nit picks on how she coulda shoulda done this or that to avoid the ball....
My dd thankfully has never been hit in the face but she did however take a shot right off her plant leg knee cap. A year later she still has trouble putting full weight on it. And the stress of protecting that knee is always in the front of her mind when she pitches now. I'm 1000 percent sure that if she could have protected herself she would have. But we're talking about less than a half second to gather yourself and look to defend... c'mon man. If its so easy, how bout you throw to me with out a screen or mask and then we'll see how easy it is.

Or just stand out in the circle and have someone hit a bucket of balls at you! I think that might change a few minds.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

Man that brought back a memory. DW is not ball gifted, once about 12 DD and I were practicing pitching in the front yard, DW was working in the flower bed. She had a couple of Bloody Mary's ( the weekend ) and claimed she could hit DD's pitches. After swinging miserably at 3, DD plucked her in the thigh. DW was rolling in the grass crying, while it took all I had not to die laughing. That was the last time DW ever volunteered to help, thank The Lord. :)

( DD never admitted it was intentional, but I always had a feeling............ )

Oct 22, 2009
I wouldn't care if my pitcher wore a mask or not. Get the hitters out and you can wear complete catching gear for all I care.

My DD's college team did a 100 inning game for a fundraiser. Any adult softball team-or just group of people could sign up for so many innings of play. There were a lot of men's teams that signed up. They were playing slow pitch. When they were playing the men's teams, my DD's catcher was the pitcher, and she wore her full catcher gear when she was pitching to those guys!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles