Am I wrong.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I can agree with your example. The OP specifically mentioned errors. We don't have all the details, but I find it hard to believe that playing 1-2 mid week games vs lesser opponents will cause a promising A team to not be competitive at all. Sounds like a crutch.

Me personally ... I'd rather conduct a team practice than have the team face a weak opponent.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Oh that hasn't been the problem with my DD she's been to Minneapolis twice, Omaha twice, Lincoln Nebraska, n desmoines twice in tournaments this year so far with other teams and not for one sec would I not want to go to nationals if we were being prepared as a team to do so but we are not, and yes there is a lot more to the mess that the coach created tbh I don't see this team even being a team after this year.

The sport can breed drama ...... try not to let it distract you from what is important.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I didn't think we would be going cause looking at the expenses involved, time off of work etc. to do the nationals I didn't think it worth it, he says to me but it would be fun and a good experience for the girls which I agree but imo, personally I don't want to drop a thousand dollars on a tourney that we cannot compete in.

If you can't afford to go, you can't afford to go. Softball is good, but your job and $$$ are much more important. Your DD will never be able to put food on the table with her pitching.

Beyond that, as to the question, "Should we play competition that beats us", the answer is "Yes".

Your DD is benefiting from playing tougher competition. Every time she faces a good batter, she learns and becomes better.

My DD#1 (all conference D1) played on a bad TB team for a few years. She was on the mound trying to figure out how to get batters out. Pitchers on other teams were simply throwing the ball. My DD was learning how to pitch--and she got pretty good at it.

Jun 19, 2013
Honestly I really do see your side of this but something to consider is that we also had you and your daughter on our team last year. Dad of the #1 pitcher who really wasn't happy all year, and we all knew it. Then got bent out of shape because we got our butts kicked in state so he announced to everyone that we shouldn't be going to regionals, that we didn't belong there. So he said his daughter was leaving to spend some much needed family time relaxing instead. Which ended it for our team. We were already short another player at the end of the season. So one guy who didn't like watching his daughter loose got to make the decision for the rest of the girls and families. A year later I know my DD is still upset that her trip with her team was cancelled. Maybe they didn't "belong" there, maybe they would have lost every game, but they had worked together since prior September to play hard and support each other come what may. Oh yeah and by the way we found out his DD immediately started picking up for other teams instead of having her much needed family time to relax. It's about being part of the team.

Sep 29, 2014
In the end I will agree with the poster that said sounds like you are in a mess but probably best way forward is to grin and bear it for another 4 or 5 weeks then make different plans for next year....next time you know better understand team commitment up front.

Apr 5, 2013
Was wondering what "a" tournaments her "b"team is playing up to in Sioux falls area?? We play tournaments in area and other then state tournament the only "A" bracket tournaments are Heartland ASA( is this the one you meant that was USSSA?) and ringneck. There is a USSSA at end of month but no spot would need to open up as last i checked not many teams playing. Otherwise most of local tournaments are not "A" around there are they?? Also noticed you said daughter traveled to lot of other tournaments with other teams. That doesnt leave alot of time for her normal team possibly so could that be part of conflict? Just seems like that might be a little more to the story as others have mentioned earlier in thread??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan