I think I may cry

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
What the other Posters have said.

Personally I would leave her alone for the season and start working on a more IR delivery when the season is over. It sounds like she is successful pitching the way she is and getting circle time. Circle time is so important, regardless of their mechanics.

If history is any indication you are going to have a difficult time finding a PC. So work on finding a PC and both you( by both you I meant parents) learn the more IR mechanics so you are ready when the season is over.

She is fine by the way.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Take heart....maybe your DD has been on the right path all along but until you post a video of her motion, you won't know one way or the other. The good news is you found this site and will be armed with the necessary knowledge to help her in the future. The other good news is, if, by chance she needs to make the "switch," your DD hasn't been ingrained for too long with years of experience. By the way, WELCOME! We are always looking for more softball nuts to join us in the squirrel nest.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Also a good idea to Hillhouse's "Building the House" DVD. It is a must, IMO, to help the student and parents understand the mechanics of pitching. Bill's instruction is straight forward and easy to understand. Couple with what your DD has learned to this point, although not having seen her, this transition shouldn't be that tough. My DD did the same "push the ball, wrist snaps, point your elbow to success" nonsense. It didn't take that long to change.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
My 10u DD was very similar last season: threw hard for a 9, mowed most of her competition down, very good control (balls vs strikes, but not "picking corners" control...). Realized great success.

She was pretty much an H/E, with a small degree of I/R.
Her posture was quite poor, and was a "leaper" and a "leaner".
Ball/hand a good foot away from her body at release.
Her delivery was a "hybrid" will good ball facing forward at 12:00, then plam down by 10:00, and then she would I/R "load" w ball facing 3b at about 8:00 or right before release/delivery. Her elbow was "locked" and thus the only I/R she achieved was "long axis", meaning the only link in the "whip chain" was her shoulder joint, and then some wrist flexion.

Obviously, not something that I could continue to allow to happen, once I educated myself to a meticulous degree - just as you have done.

Our only advantage is that we had our epiphany in the late-Summer, and had the luxury of working intently upon proper I/R and Drive mechanics all Fall/Winter. If I were in your shoes, I'm not sure what choice we would have made. (I say "we" because it really needs to be DD's decision once you give her the information as best as you can make her undrstand. She must "buy in" 100% to the work ahead or the frustration in the beginning will cause her not to want to practice/pitch.)

Good luck with your choice!
Either way (now or wait til Fall) at 10, she has the potential to develop into a good 12u, 14u, 16u either way.

Apr 5, 2014
You have all made me feel so much better. Thank you all so much. I will be taking every single bit of advice you've all given. I will be not worrying for now. Instead reading and researching. And I can't wait to post a video after the rain lets up here today or tomorrow. You've all made me feel so much better about it and convinced me to just take a second and breathe. As YOCOACH mentioned, I am definitely a softball nut (as evidenced by my freakout last night), so I'm sure I'll be around the nest often now, while I read and learn some more. It is a pleasure to run across such nice and helpful people who've been so kind.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
PM me on Monday. (I am leaving for the weekend.) But, coaching little girls in pitching, is what I do every day. Then, leave that rainy weather and come visit Tucson. I will help you, help your DD. (darling daughter.)

One thing that she could work on is, standing sideways on her power line, have her do 3 arm circles and pitch on the 3rd rotation. Encourage her to be loose, with a bend in the elbow. At her hip, the back of her hand she swipe her shorts.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
jmkst58....... you are not alone. In the last 9 months I have learned so much about pitching and have realized I know nothing. My daughter is in the same boat. Let's row together.......

I started switching her on my own.. with the help of great insight from experts on this board and videos from PaulyGirl Fastpitch.
My DD hasn't pitched in a game in a couple of weeks because last outing with HE she was all over the place - nerves and HE. Her best pitches were when she let the "natural" release just happen.

If she is doing well in games - stay with what you are doing until the season is over. Video and post so the wonderful people here can help. She just might be doing more right than you realize.

Last thing - Breathe. Her pitching isn't about being great at 10U.It's about having a fun and productive pitching career for however long that last. Yes - I have to remind myself of that but it's the truth.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors