Am I wrong.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Both of you are wrong. The head coach should layout the general budget and expectations for the team at the beginning of the season. You should have asked more questions about what the plan was for the team if it wasn't laid out. Travel ball is expensive, if you cannot afford it that you need to consider other options for your DD but you can't say you are not going to Nationals because the team won't be competitive and blame it on the head coach. Lack of communication and not setting firm expectations for the team is one of the biggest problems on softball teams and creates a lot of conflict. As a general rule, its a team sport and if the team has qualified for a national tournament, you go, especially if you are the starting pitcher. Then look for another team to join in the fall.

Was wondering what "a" tournaments her "b"team is playing up to in Sioux falls area?? We play tournaments in area and other then state tournament the only "A" bracket tournaments are Heartland ASA( is this the one you meant that was USSSA?) and ringneck. There is a USSSA at end of month but no spot would need to open up as last i checked not many teams playing. Otherwise most of local tournaments are not "A" around there are they?? Also noticed you said daughter traveled to lot of other tournaments with other teams. That doesnt leave alot of time for her normal team possibly so could that be part of conflict? Just seems like that might be a little more to the story as others have mentioned earlier in thread??
yes I was talking about the USSSA tourney here in Sioux falls and yes we are playing the Ringneck also, as for the other tourney's she has played in (with yes other teams) in 12u cause she is age eligible, which wouldn't of been possible if A the weekends were not open due to her actual team not playing and B if we were not a registered B team (which I lobbied against) I always wanted to play in either A or Open so that in turn opened the door for my DD to play on weekends that our team didn't play and this thing has nothing to do with the money per say as I have stated b4 I couldn't tell you how much ive spent on private lessons, monies for her to travel with other teams etc. and I never said that we were definitely not going to nationals the exact words were I didn't think it worth it. but I didn't even get a phone call from the coach to ask whats up? whats going on ? nothing. as for the team layout for the year and the plans were b4 we even signed up on the roster for the year was to be a tb club that would compete in at least A tourney's by our local tournaments with also traveling and getting into national qualifying tournaments. and trying to be as competitive as we possibly could. that being said coach lied to me and some others, signed us up as a B club, put us in a bunch of semi competitive tournaments except the ringneck (which we placed 3rd last year in 12u) he has now went down to having practice once every two weeks if that and now is starting to skip out on the tournaments that he signed us up for. I truly don't hold one thing against our girls on this issue when you only practice what we have been doing, imo you cant achieve that next level of play which is what we thought we signed up for, like I said my DD goes to practice at least 3 times a week with a different program which I pay for, working all aspects of the game, not only the pitching, but defense, hitting, offensive plays, ball placement techniques, ball handling techniques etc etc. last week he alone decided we're going to nationals in Minnesota never asked anyone just made the decision which I would of been totally fine with if our girls would of been preparing for in practices, playing in a competitive league compared to ours, playing in more competitive tournaments etc. I guess I do feel guilty to a point about saying that we probably wouldn't go cause I felt that it wouldn't be worth it. but then again I don't either considering all the circumstances. its actually a sad situation imo, we still have 3 tournaments to play which we have to travel to, and 3 tournaments in town yet for the year.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2013
Why are you even on this team? How are you playing for multiple teams legally? I'm guessing that the teams play different alphabets? Whatever the explanation is, it is obvious that that your commitment to either team has always been less than 100%. Shame on either team's coach for placing any reliance on you.

Wow kla, the reason im on this team is cause we made a commitment to the team this year and have been committed 100% to it, we have never missed a practice, we were there for any and all fundraising events he wasn't at a single one, I personally take what free time I have to work with the pitchers and catchers with what ive learned here and from my DD's pc he doesn't. ive raised a ton of money personally through sponsorships for our team, helped sell krispy kreams on a corner in 40degree weather he wasn't there, Im the one that has purchased equipment for the team out of my own pocket he hasn't spent a dime unless it comes out of sponsorship monies, I warm up the girls b4 every single game, he's usually no where to be found until we actually take the field right b4 the game, ive had to run countless practices that he sets up but then at the last moment he cant make it. Ive never not been there when ive said I could be there to help now its progressed to him skipping out on tournaments that he put us in so he can go either fishing or hunting or to the twins game, and guess what who do you think has to run them yup ME, As for playing on multiple teams legally I don't know if you are uneducated when it comes to that, but you CAN do that and it happens all over the united states all the time. as for playing with other teams are you trying to say to me that my DD cant play softball when her actual team isn't playing but yet another team would like to have her if she's available? sorry Bud but if my DD wants to play instead of sitting at home Im going to give her every chance if she wants to better herself. "as for shame on either teams coach for placing any reliance on me" LOL we've never missed a game or practice for that matter and for you to make the statement that you said you obviously didn't read the whole thread. and my commitment to ALL the girls on our team was simply this I wanted to be in the highest level possible practicing at that level too only making the girls better which was supposedly the plan but again I was bamboozled my bad for believing in what he said.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
Wow kla, the reason im on this team is cause we made a commitment to the team this year and have been committed 100% to it, we have never missed a practice, we were there for any and all fundraising events he wasn't at a single one, I personally take what free time I have to work with the pitchers and catchers with what ive learned here and from my DD's pc he doesn't. ive raised a ton of money personally through sponsorships for our team, helped sell krispy kreams on a corner in 40degree weather he wasn't there, Im the one that has purchased equipment for the team out of my own pocket he hasn't spent a dime unless it comes out of sponsorship monies, I warm up the girls b4 every single game, he's usually no where to be found until we actually take the field right b4 the game, ive had to run countless practices that he sets up but then at the last moment he cant make it. Ive never not been there when ive said I could be there to help now its progressed to him skipping out on tournaments that he put us in so he can go either fishing or hunting or to the twins game, and guess what who do you think has to run them yup ME, As for playing on multiple teams legally I don't know if you are uneducated when it comes to that, but you CAN do that and it happens all over the united states all the time. as for playing with other teams are you trying to say to me that my DD cant play softball when her actual team isn't playing but yet another team would like to have her if she's available? sorry Bud but if my DD wants to play instead of sitting at home Im going to give her every chance if she wants to better herself. "as for shame on either teams coach for placing any reliance on me" LOL we've never missed a game or practice for that matter and for you to make the statement that you said you obviously didn't read the whole thread. and my commitment to ALL the girls on our team was simply this I wanted to be in the highest level possible practicing at that level too only making the girls better which was supposedly the plan but again I was bamboozled my bad for believing in what he said.

Well (head) coach....if you really like the girls and they are a good group sounds like you need to get yourself an assistant for next year ....problem solved

and I say that only half jokingly if you are going to invest all that time anyway you might as well have a little control or at least become the manager and find someone to do more hands on day to day coaching if you can't always make it because of work

:) it really isn't an option for me as I travel for work that's why I assist when im home and have time honestly something has changed with our head coach this year it might be personal issues idk but that being said he's the one that has dropped the ball im just trying to hold it together for the rest of the season. but we will be on a different team next yr for sure.

Nov 15, 2013
If you're just playing the local circuit, then nothing is stopping you from signing whatever roster you feel like signing each weekend. You mentioned USSSA as one of the sanctioning organizations for which your daughter is playing. Once you sign a USSSA roster, you can't play for another USSSA team in a sanctioned event until released by the first team and picked up by the second team. ASA PGF and NSA work similarly. If you're moonlighting DD between teams in sanctioned tournaments, you're likely putting both teams at risk. If the two teams play in different organizations, then you're golden.

As far as commitment goes, it sounds like you're doing a lot of work for one of the teams. The question I have is, have you ever had to tell one of the team's coaches that you couldn't attend a practice or game because of a conflict with the other team? Have you ever suggested not scheduling something for one of the teams because you already had a commitment for the other? I have a hard time believing that there has never been a single time where both teams haven't had a tournament the same weekend, or practice on the same night.

Finally, I agree, the more softball the better. Just make sure both coaches are aware of it and that any possible negative consequences to either team are avoided.

Edit: edited to remove any response to possible name-calling or escalation thereof.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
If you're just playing the local circuit, then nothing is stopping you from signing whatever roster you feel like signing each weekend. You mentioned USSSA as one of the sanctioning organizations for which your daughter is playing. Once you sign a USSSA roster, you can't play for another USSSA team in a sanctioned event until released by the first team and picked up by the second team. ASA PGF and NSA work similarly. If you're moonlighting DD between teams in sanctioned tournaments, you're likely putting both teams at risk. If the two teams play in different organizations, then you're golden.

As far as commitment goes, it sounds like you're doing a lot of work for one of the teams. The question I have is, have you ever had to tell one of the team's coaches that you couldn't attend a practice or game because of a conflict with the other team? Have you ever suggested not scheduling something for one of the teams because you already had a commitment for the other? I have a hard time believing that there has never been a single time where both teams haven't had a tournament the same weekend, or practice on the same night.

Finally, I agree, the more softball the better. Just make sure both coaches are aware of it and that any possible negative consequences to either team are avoided.

Edit: edited to remove any response to possible name-calling or escalation thereof.

I am not sure about all organizations but I was pretty sure for most you were not locked until you qualified for nats....but I could be very wrong otherwise how would anyone every guest play?

Nov 18, 2013
Sorry my friend, but you're making the wrong decision on this one. You're a coach too. If the HC can't make a practice there's no reason you can't run some. You said one practice every two weeks. Do you have league games during the week that yopur HC is considering practice? That's very common here at that age and level.

You mentioned you've got six tournaments left. I'm not sure how many you've already played, but most of the teams at the NAFA Nationals in MN play 5 or less tournaments a summer. You won't have any difficulty with the competetion. NAFA Nationals are basically a year end tourney for MN Rec teams. Several are solid for that level, but there's definitely not anyone you can't compete with.

my DD plays for a 14u B registered ASA team, we are not playing in any USSSA tourney's or any national qualifying tournaments except the RingNeck, my daughter has only been picked up by 12u teams which my daughter is eligible for due to the fact we are a registered B team and she is age eligible and not playing in any qualifier tourney's as a pick up player which I may be wrong but I think you cant use pick up players for qualifiers?, but since the rule change about age eligibility and the fact that she could play in 12u cause we are a B team that opened the door big time for these other teams to pick her up. so that being said we play with a primary team and practice with said team that team comes first period. all the teams that have picked her up know this and we act accordingly to what her main team is doing. now I have never influenced our coach in practice times, which tourneys to enter etc. etc. what I simply did was email our schedule to the teams wanting to pick up my daughter and they in turn they emailed me their schedule's for their practices etc. if we could make it to their practices or what not we did if not and their was a conflict with my DDs main team we didn't. and with our coach not doing a lot of tourney in either April or May she got tons of playing time and mound time traveling to these other tourney's I mentioned earlier in my post. Believe me when I say we are totally legal as we have been checked time and time again.as we have been checked time and time again. Yes Mn, I believe he is considering the league games practice but when you win ea league game by scores like 20-1 on a consistent basis that's not practice now if he were practicing plays, slap bunts, bunting , defensive plays. etc I would say its a practice but it usually goes like this cause its a dbl header once a week he usually will pitch my DD first, . but in no way should we be in this league. anyway 99% of the time they are way behind my DD and lucky to scratch a hit out. infield never gets any practice nor the outfield for that matter so hence the kids literally other than batting get zero experience and I should mention im guessing here but I would say the hardest ive seen thrown from the opponents is around 40 tops.2nd game with our other pitcher pretty much same story other than she gets hit a little more. as for committing to nationals how can I do that when our hc cant even commit to a local tournament instead goes hunting, or fishing , well next week he's going to the twins game hehe. :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom