HELP! please evaluate my daughters swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Aka running start. Aka forward yet back. When one sequences with the slack out of the torso, TTB isn’t necessary. No magic beans to speak of Jack. :)

When you hit within what I consider to be a good sequence, then TTB can simply be thought of as using the hands/forearms to work the barrel in-line with the lead-arm.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yes lag is present.

How do you define lag? I'm not challenging you, I'm trying to get a better understanding of what others are seeing.

I'm seeing the barrel being continuously turned to the ball around a hand pivot point. There is some adjustment to the location of the pivot point in order to deliver the barrel to the pitch location.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
How do you define lag? I'm not challenging you, I'm trying to get a better understanding of what others are seeing.

I'm seeing the barrel being continuously turned to the ball around a hand pivot point. There is some adjustment to the location of the pivot point in order to deliver the barrel to the pitch location.

In the basic sense of the word

Lag- to fall behind in movement, progress or development. To not keep pace with another.

In this case ‘another’ would be the hands.

Jun 8, 2016
This is very different than what WW showed in the proceeding post.

Notice that here the body angle, along with the lead-arm, is supporting the working of the barrel. That wasn't happening in what WW showed prior to this.

That was a pre-swing action to feel himself using his hands/forearms to TTB. The hitter WW just praised, e.g. DiCarlo does the same pre-swing routine.

Jun 8, 2016
Aka running start. Aka forward yet back. When one sequences with the slack out of the torso, TTB isn’t necessary. No magic beans to speak of Jack. :)

So after you "sequence with the slack out of the torso" you just say a small prayer and the barrel arcs (or in your case no arc maybe?) towards the ball? As FP26 alluded to, your problem is that you are misinterpreting what TTB means. All the stuff you are saying doesn't preclude torquing the barrel with your hands at go in a direction determined by pitch read which is what TTB is. The "bop the catcher in the head" interpretation you are taking is only one such TTB barrel path and would only occur with a certain pitch location and barrel angle at launch. TTB also doesn't mean you automatically get stuck on your backside. Sequencing is important as is making sure you have "dynamic balance" at launch, I agree with you on that. Nothing in the TTB mantra precludes those two things.

Now if you think that at launch your hands primarly direct first (apply force along the bat) and then later on you apply force into the handle to torque it, I will disagree, but at least you would be disagreeing with the actual TTB premise.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
FWIW:
Eric F gave a good definition of TTB: the barrel being continuously turned to the ball around a (tight-my add) hand pivot point. That's a good thing. I usually envision/teach/demo this as opposed to an elbow pivot point, which is a long, dumpy, casty bat path).

FP 26 gave a good definition of the opposite of TTB, or what you DON'T want a hitter to do: A hitter does not want their hands to cross in front of their chest before the barrel turns to the ball. That's a bad thing. And is too often taught, ie, hands-to-the-ball.

Based on those, I feel I have an understanding of what turn-the-barrel means and the value of it -- regardless of who or what camp is advocating it.

To me, a lot of the pre-swing/on-deck circle hand actions that seem to be TTB-based are feels. Like that young lady/awesome hitter in the video clip above, some hitters can turn those feels into swings that can be very deadly.

As for early batspeed, to me it means early *in the arc* -- not early relative to the ball flight, pitcher motion or intent to swing. If you turn the barrel around the hands it begins to *get up to speed* around the back of the arc (and can thus be aborted before contact when a hitter takes a pitch). The opposite of that would be an A-to-C swing where all the barrel speed is beside the hitter and directed straight to the ball.

Looked at in that way, what TTB plus batspeed in the arc (early batspeed) lets you do is create bat whip. To me, a hand pivot (ie, TTB) and a bat whip aren't two different things. They are both part of an effective swing.

At least that's how I read/use these terms.

Jun 8, 2016
No. Dicarlo s hands come forward first Pattar. Don’t graze over the details.

Not what Aj does

On the first practice swing..and then she tried to fix it on the second one. Whatever, arguing over this stuff
is like arguing politics.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877