Swing evaluation please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Might be one of the best pieces of advice given, to those who come on forums like these looking for help. Any parent etc. who comes on here looking for advice, should take each piece with a grain of salt. You might not have meant by that statement, but that just what stood out to me.
Agreed 100%, many different opinions and a lot of good advice. But, I wouldn't advise messing with your DD's swing until you have a good grasp on that advice, and even then, small changes with close observation. Speaking from experience and it didn't end well.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Pop up --
1.happened because she hit it on the handle.
2. Needs to be earlier on that pitch and hit it out front with the barrel.
1622748517209-001.jpg

1. Exactly
2. You're supposed to make contact at the ball of the front foot (after the stride). This is what MLB hitters do.

Plus you want the back elbow to be as close to the torso as possible at contact, with the forearm extended to the ball, and the bat head just past the hands for max velo. Just as above. Every mm beyond that reduces bat speed.

Back her off the plate a little. Back off the plate and I bet she barrels a few up

Exactly. This is why the ball is not hitting the bat in the sweet spot.

P.S., notice your posture/torso (green) at toe touch. You should be straight (yellow). Also notice the back foot may be pointed backwards slightly - it should point straight ahead at the plate.

2021-0604-crooked-001.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
How much work was she getting when that guy was helping her compared to now?

Jan 15, 2020
View attachment 22347

1. Exactly
2. You're supposed to make contact at the ball of the front foot (after the stride). This is what MLB hitters do.

Plus you want the back elbow to be as close to the torso as possible at contact, with the forearm extended to the ball, and the bat head just past the hands for max velo. Just as above. Every mm beyond that reduces bat speed.

P.S., notice your posture/torso (green) at toe touch. You should be straight (yellow). Also notice the back foot may be pointed backwards slightly - it should point straight ahead at the plate.

View attachment 22348
Thank you for taking the time to explain this with the screenshots. Can you recommend a video I could show DD regarding her posture at toe touch?

Oct 2, 2017
Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by "fire the back foot".
Look at the rear foot and rear leg, Another way of saying it; is she actively trying to turn her back foot and leg. To me it looks to be that she is. Some call it "squishing the bug". Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020
Look at the rear foot and rear leg, Another way of saying it; is she actively trying to turn her back foot and leg. To me it looks to be that she is. Some call it "squishing the bug". Sorry for the confusion.

No worries, I really appreciate the willingness to help out. I've learned enough to know that "squishing the bug" is a bad thing. So, instead, she should be using the ball of her foot on her back foot simply as a pivot point and her hips should be driving the motion?

Oct 2, 2017
No worries, I really appreciate the willingness to help out. I've learned enough to know that "squishing the bug" is a bad thing. So, instead, she should be using the ball of her foot on her back foot simply as a pivot point and her hips should be driving the motion?
No problem at all. The role of the back foot, should be a no teach IMO. It's not thinking of the ball of the foot etc. The problem is that a lot of coaches etc. look at what they percieve as professionals actively turning the rear leg and foot. The reality is that they are not. I think most would agree with that. The goal is to keep the back foot on the ground through the heel, and allow it to get peeled off the ground. The differences of opinion on how that gets done are many. Some believe the hips actively turn, some don't. Like me; I believe the goal is to not turn the hips, but that's a different subject. That going to be up to you and what direction you feel is best for your DD.

There may be others that will give their view on how its done. This is all just my opinion. Good luck! She looks to have a lot of potential.

For example look at Trout and Chamberlain below, pay attention to their rear foot. Ask yourself, does it look like they are pivoting off the ball of their foot or are they staying in the ground through their heel and letting the foot GET peeled off the ground?

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014

View attachment 22348
So how are these issues associated with her always popping up or hitting choppers?
View attachment 22347

Not on that pitch.

I disagree with you. On that pitch, which appears to be inside, you better catch it a little more out front if you want to hit it on the barrel.

Also I don't see her as being too close to the plate. Any further away and plate coverage becomes an issue. If she will hit it out front more, she won't have to move off the plate in order to get the barrel on the ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles