Need help with my daughters swinging

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
A lot to like here. As of right now she opens her front hip immediately to create space, that’s when it falls apart.

Get her starting posture in stance better to create some space and to balance her body from the start meaning get her chest a bit more over the plate while pushing her hips back.. Should help use the posterior instead of the anterior side of her body. See where she’s at after. Maybe narrow her stance 2-3 inches so she can control her stride a bit better As well. Film and post.

View attachment 23619
Agree and this is a direct result of bad timing. She’s late. Good thing is she is athletic. Most kids wouldn’t recover from being this late.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
1629400844338.png

Girl in the background is practicing her swing - nice and level. Maybe even getting some instruction on that point from the dad/coach leaning on the fence. This is the swing idea that breeds dropping the hands behind the shoulder. It also leads to a lot of struggles, especially as players start facing more challenging pitching.

A good-quality swing is not level with the ground. It is a tilted plane that tilts more or less depending on pitch location. The tilt of the shoulders sets the swing plane.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Agree and this is a direct result of bad timing. She’s late. Good thing is she is athletic. Most kids wouldn’t recover from being this late.

It's off a machine. I'm betting the coach feeding the machine is not giving any timing clues.

Aug 20, 2017
could there be an inherent reason why her timing is bad?

edit: and @Eric F

double edit: is ‘her’ timing really actually bad?
I would say her hands aren’t getting loaded on time. This causes the elbow drag imo. The stride is late and there is very little body prep to stride but I do see a slight negative move. I wouldn’t get into the lower body doing anything different currently. Get a little hand action and see how the body reacts

Edited to say that the rear elbow is already down. Could keep the current hand/elbow set and tell her to load the rear elbow. Just spit ballin

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
To me the early opening is causing the later timing or the need to back the ball up. she must wait as long as possible. She is timing the early release of her rubber band about as good as you can. So for me it’s a mechanical issue. not a timing problem.

May 12, 2016
She seems rushed to me... which I see from a lot of hitters of a pitching machine. The hitter needs some indication of when the ball is being delivered so they can begin their sequence.

Reactions: TDS

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
She seems rushed to me... which I see from a lot of hitters of a pitching machine. The hitter needs some indication of when the ball is being delivered so they can begin their sequence.

Exactly, and in many cases machines induce bad movement habits..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13