Swing evaluation please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2020
Over the winter we met another family at the local indoor hitting cages and my 14U DD began hitting with the Dad and his 18U DD. Over the course of 4 months, this Dad raised my DD's average exit velocity up by almost 10 mph and DD was killing the ball at dome tournaments. Since this spring, the Dad has been busy with his DD's high school ball and my DD hasn't seen them in almost 2 months. Since then, DD has started outdoor travel ball her hits are usually a chopper to the pitcher, a weak grounder to second or a pop-up - she rarely ever strikes out. I'm not educated enough to evaluate what's going on and I'm concerned that if I try to correct what I perceive to be wrong, I may make things worse. Any input on her swing would be appreciated. My apologies for the first video not being taken at an ideal angle but it's the best video I have of her hitting 70 mph on exit velocity.

70 mph exit velocity

Recent pop-up

Chopper

Another chopper

Mar 28, 2014
Pop up -- happened because she hit it on the handle. Needs to be earlier on that pitch and hit it out front with the barrel.

1622748517209.png

1622748658409.png

Mar 28, 2014
Chopper #1-- happened because she is raising the barrel to meet the ball. See the red mark on the barrel sweet spot versus the red mark on the middle of the ball. The barrel is forced to go up from that position in order to contact. She has a severe negative vertical bat angle. Looks to be around -40 degrees. Should be closer to -10 on that pitch. That is causing her to have to bring the barrel up to meet the ball. She's "dumping the barrel".

Screenshot 2021-06-03 143436.png

Mar 28, 2014
Chopper #2 - Same as #1. She's dumping the barrel and being forced to pull the barrel up to meet the ball instead of being on plane. See red lines --

Screenshot 2021-06-03 144658.png

Oct 26, 2019
This isn’t about her swing but kids need to stop hitting in crocs. I know they call wearing them with the back strap “sport mode” or “4x4 mode” but those are just jokes (I hope).

Jan 15, 2020
This isn’t about her swing but kids need to stop hitting in crocs. I know they call wearing them with the back strap “sport mode” or “4x4 mode” but those are just jokes (I hope).
Agreed, it was shortly before leaving for a game and she was doing some last-minute warming up. The Crocs aren't causing the hitting issues however.

Oct 26, 2019
Agreed, it was shortly before leaving for a game and she was doing some last-minute warming up. The Crocs aren't causing the hitting issues however.
I agree. I work at a high school and see kids in the gym with crocs all the time. It’s just a personal peeve.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Front shoulder caught my attention right away. It doesn't tuck get tucked in and down causing it to fly out rather than going up to clear the path for the hands.

Also the struggles of a slump can cause one to swing too hard losing bat speed. She just may need to go out and figure it out herself.

Aug 20, 2017
Back her off the plate a little. Posture is good so her plate coverage should be good. She’s tied up. Pitches did look inside but she’s hitting those balls off the hands. Back off the plate and I bet she barrels a few up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28