Need help with my daughters swinging

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 15, 2021
My daugther is currently 9. She has always had good mechanics when it comes to doing tee work, or side toss, or even front toss. But as soon as you put a live pitcher infront of her, It automatically changes her swinging mechanics. She will basically stride foward as the pitcher is in rotation, Once the ball is released she will do like a double pump, with the bat, Drop her hands drastically!!!!!!!! and swing away. It is absolutley horrible. Like i said, We do T work religiously, we do front toss, and side toss. Her swing looks great! Pretty perfect. BUT as soon as she sees a live pitcher is changes like night and day. I want to say shes afraid to get hit so shes awaiting to confirm that its down the middle and thats what causes her double pump, But i dont know how to fix this issue. We have been battling this for about 6 months and cant get her to not do it.She tells me she is not at all scared of the pitcher hitting her, But i dont know why else she would instantly forget how to swing a bat.
It's pretty common to see hitters do something very different off of live than they do off tee/FT. It sounds like it's a timing issue. Basically she needs work on deciding when to start her swing based off the pitcher. If she's starting too early she will not get to a good launch position (heel plant position) and her body will then have to drastically adjust any way it can to try to hit the ball. The best thing you can do is spend a lot of time in the off season having her hit off a live pitcher. A teammate or local player that's her age, give or take a year. Take video of her from the side, and do live at bats where she's focused on her timing. After an at bat have her come take a look and see how her mechanics are breaking down and make an adjustment to when she's starting her load if needed. Practice and off season is where the most amount of improvement can happen because it's OKAY to think mechanically. Don't have her worry about making solid contact, or where the ball goes. Have her focus on being smooth, on time, and her mechanics should improve in that practice setting over time. Then when she gets to the game she won't have to think at all, since she's already practiced so much off live doing it correctly. Hope that helps!

Coach Peterson
The Hitting Vault

Aug 15, 2021

Hopefully the link will work.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Sorry just saw that you posted the video. So yes, it is an issue of her understanding WHEN to start. She should have a slow controlled load and stride. Without that her timing is off because she's going from going "fast to fast." Check out this post...

Also check out this video. It's from a while back, but kinda explains it more...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2