Swing evaluation please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
DaughtersFather

Feedback can be a powerful tool or extremely destructive. I only watched the 70 mph exit velocity, very destructive. When playing with numbers you have to be very careful. Solely making a number go up with no regards to the means-where-by doesn’t mean you know how to swing. I have Blast and Pocket radar, I take the numbers as a holistic approach.

The meanswhereby is how you carry out a swing, endgaining is going after a result with no concern of the meanswhereby.

She is end gaining, making a number go up.

I’ll look at the other swings.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
DaughtersFather

Ok

In the 70 mph swing she is pushing the swing/barrel.

In the practice swing I also see the hands getting ahead of the back leg/hip. It doesn’t look as strong of a push, although they do get ahead.

I don’t see dumping the barrel.

The mis hits are just from pushing the bat creating a guiding the barrel to the ball.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Out of curiosity how far away was the pitcher and at what velocity was the ball being thrown? The pitch looks to be extremely flat and may actually ascend from the point the ball entered the frame up to contact. Some correction is needed but the pitching isn’t doing her any favors JMO.

Referring to the back yard videos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 2, 2017
Over the winter we met another family at the local indoor hitting cages and my 14U DD began hitting with the Dad and his 18U DD. Over the course of 4 months, this Dad raised my DD's average exit velocity up by almost 10 mph and DD was killing the ball at dome tournaments. Since this spring, the Dad has been busy with his DD's high school ball and my DD hasn't seen them in almost 2 months. Since then, DD has started outdoor travel ball her hits are usually a chopper to the pitcher, a weak grounder to second or a pop-up - she rarely ever strikes out. I'm not educated enough to evaluate what's going on and I'm concerned that if I try to correct what I perceive to be wrong, I may make things worse. Any input on her swing would be appreciated. My apologies for the first video not being taken at an ideal angle but it's the best video I have of her hitting 70 mph on exit velocity.

70 mph exit velocity

Recent pop-up

Chopper

Another chopper
Not to bad of a swing. Imo it seems she coiling to un-coil everything at once in a circle. Also was she taught to fire the back knee or to turn the back foot?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Not to bad of a swing. Imo it seems she coiling to un-coil everything at once in a circle. Also was she taught to fire the back knee or to turn the back foot?

Yes I liked the practice swings better. Everything looks good until the hands get ahead of the lowerbody.

The coil and preparing to swing looks good.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
She is very strong and quick but almost out of control. Head / eyes are being jerked around by such a violent move. She needs a more in controlled swing. I would be going back to the tee. When she can hit 9 out of 10 line drives to RC field with a smoother stroke then I would return to front toss. She is hitting but not swinging if that makes sense.

May 12, 2016
The pitches she's getting jammed on, are they strikes? They look incredibly inside to me.

Oct 2, 2017
DaughtersFather

Feedback can be a powerful tool or extremely destructive. I only watched the 70 mph exit velocity, very destructive. When playing with numbers you have to be very careful. Solely making a number go up with no regards to the means-where-by doesn’t mean you know how to swing. I have Blast and Pocket radar, I take the numbers as a holistic approach.

The meanswhereby is how you carry out a swing, endgaining is going after a result with no concern of the meanswhereby.

She is end gaining, making a number go up.

I’ll look at the other swings.

Might be one of the best pieces of advice given, to those who come on forums like these looking for help. Any parent etc. who comes on here looking for advice, should take each piece with a grain of salt. That might not have been what you meant by that statement, but that just what stood out to me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2