Need help with my daughters swinging

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2020
My daugther is currently 9. She has always had good mechanics when it comes to doing tee work, or side toss, or even front toss. But as soon as you put a live pitcher infront of her, It automatically changes her swinging mechanics. She will basically stride foward as the pitcher is in rotation, Once the ball is released she will do like a double pump, with the bat, Drop her hands drastically!!!!!!!! and swing away. It is absolutley horrible. Like i said, We do T work religiously, we do front toss, and side toss. Her swing looks great! Pretty perfect. BUT as soon as she sees a live pitcher is changes like night and day. I want to say shes afraid to get hit so shes awaiting to confirm that its down the middle and thats what causes her double pump, But i dont know how to fix this issue. We have been battling this for about 6 months and cant get her to not do it.She tells me she is not at all scared of the pitcher hitting her, But i dont know why else she would instantly forget how to swing a bat.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Have her start her swing (move out) at a certain cue. Like pitchers throwing hand at 12:00. Work on it when on deck. Commit to starting move out based on the pitcher. My guess is she is starting to early. Most start to late and have a rushed swing.

Sep 19, 2018
timing is everything isn't it. My dd had something similiar happen to her. after tee work, he put a plate maybe 10 feet infront of her. Said, don't move until the ball reaches the plate. It was akward at first, she rushed and was late. slowly it started to click. He moved the plate back and forth, even moved her closer to him. Each time explaining when he wanted her to move.

it took a couple of lessons but suddenly timing clicked to her.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
My DD would also invent new moves when facing live pitching, but not this bad. I'd get one of her team mates out to pitch to her, video her swings, show her the video right there, and then fix it based on Rolling Hard's suggestion.

May 12, 2016
timing is everything isn't it. My dd had something similiar happen to her. after tee work, he put a plate maybe 10 feet infront of her. Said, don't move until the ball reaches the plate. It was akward at first, she rushed and was late. slowly it started to click. He moved the plate back and forth, even moved her closer to him. Each time explaining when he wanted her to move.

it took a couple of lessons but suddenly timing clicked to her.
Nothing better than a practical approach IMO. Love how dynamic this approach is (y)

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
1. We can't help you really unless you post a video. You are wasting your time and ours.

2. There is nothing inherently wrong with a 'double pump'. Bonds and Ruth did it to some success.

3. Your 2 comments contradict: "She will basically stride foward as the pitcher is in rotation" "shes awaiting to confirm that its down the middle". Refer to #1.

I will say this about kids under 13. 99% of them do not begin the stride until the ball is half way. THIS IS WHAT CAUSES THE TEE/LIVE SWING TO LOOK DIFFERENT. At this age, I would begin when the pitcher releases the ball.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She will basically stride foward as the pitcher is in rotation, Once the ball is released she will do like a double pump, with the bat,
Her timing is WAY too early, and she's basically flailing around waiting for the ball to show up. At the age of your DD, it's usually the opposite problem.

We have been battling this for about 6 months and cant get her to not do it.
LOL - It took years to sort out some of my DD's swing issues.

But i dont know why else she would instantly forget how to swing a bat.
Because she's 9....

...and her timing is way off.

Video would help us help you a lot more effectively.

May 12, 2016
1. We can't help you really unless you post a video. You are wasting your time and ours.

2. There is nothing inherently wrong with a 'double pump'. Bonds and Ruth did it to some success.

3. Your 2 comments contradict: "She will basically stride foward as the pitcher is in rotation" "shes awaiting to confirm that its down the middle". Refer to #1.

I will say this about kids under 13. 99% of them do not begin the stride until the ball is half way. THIS IS WHAT CAUSES THE TEE/LIVE SWING TO LOOK DIFFERENT. At this age, I would begin when the pitcher releases the ball.
Agree 100%, this the number 1 cause in discrepancies between tee swings and live swings

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812