Need help with my daughters swinging

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
MP swing isn't bad...certainly better than the live arm swing. The reason for that is probably a) she is way late getting going in the live arm swing and b) she looks nervous/jumpy in the live ball swing..which is not unusual for a 9 YO just starting to hit live arm.
Just keep working...her live arm swing will improve once she gets more comfortable.

If you want to do some drills, the Justin Stone feet together drill @Rolling Hard mentioned is a good drill and I would perhaps think about working the Babe Ruth feet-crossed drill as well with a focus on hold her initial angles (in her setup) as she moves out.

Previous paragraph aside, at 9 YO with an athletic kid (which she looks to be), getting her on a field a few times a week and asking her to hit the ball hard and just having her see her result may be the best "instruction" she can get.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
MP swing isn't bad...certainly better than the live arm swing. The reason for that is probably a) she is way late getting going in the live arm swing and b) she looks nervous/jumpy in the live ball swing..which is not unusual for a 9 YO just starting to hit live arm.
Just keep working...her live arm swing will improve once she gets more comfortable.

If you want to do some drills, the Justin Stone feet together drill @Rolling Hard mentioned is a good drill and I would perhaps think about working the Babe Ruth feet-crossed drill as well with a focus on hold her initial angles (in her setup) as she moves out.

Previous paragraph aside, at 9 YO with an athletic kid (which she looks to be), getting her on a field a few times a week and asking her to hit the ball hard and just having her see her result may be the best "instruction" she can get.
Always a good place to start, primary building block for the swing process

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The live game swing with bat drag is caused by the arms attempting to swing the bat around her body.. I would focus on keeping the hands back and learn to pulse the middle to fire the swing while attempting to keep the hands back.

Jun 8, 2016
Both swings are rushed.
Yes..never said otherwise(assuming this was a response to my comment ;) ). She looks more rushed in the live arm swing...almost like she is surprised that the ball is on her..

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yes..never said otherwise(assuming this was a response to my comment). She looks more rushed in the live arm swing...almost like she is surprised that the ball is on her..

not so much you. Just a general statement towards the discussion.

edit: when your swing is long and your window is narrow.. you get what this young hitter is doing.

Apr 11, 2015

Not sure if the "Happy Gilmore" drill is the same one your referencing....
dyaUQbv.gif

But I think it would help with her timing as has been mentioned, getting her loading better, and help her with her overall sequence of the swing. JMO...OMMV

Jun 8, 2016
Not sure if the "Happy Gilmore" drill is the same one your referencing....
dyaUQbv.gif

But I think it would help with her timing as has been mentioned, getting her loading better, and help her with her overall sequence of the swing. JMO...OMMV
No but that is a good one too if done properly :)

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
2021-0824-drag-0.00.00.00.png

1. Rear forearm is vertical (green). Should be flat (yellow)

2. Bat head is too flat/low (green). Should be more up (yellow, about 55 deg)

This is causing the bat drag. The back arm/elbow is a giant lever. You are not using it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying