Swing evaluation please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Like @Work=wins and @BigSkyHi alluded to, it doesn't look like she is loading the upper half (counterotation) as well in the backyard swings BUT that may be because the cage swings look to be against much lower velocity than the backyard swings and in the backyard swings she may not be giving herself enough time. Do you have game swings from when she was hitting well in games and also right now? If you don't get started early enough (for your movement pattern) that can screw up everything..

I think this hitter has a ‘sway’. Which kills balance and the first stretching point.. so no resistance for separation to occur on time. Subsequently the cage swing has separation, no sway as well. Not perfect but better.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Could you explain "separation" in layman's terms?

the hips leading the hands. The hips going before the shoulders. it’s a sway that is present in the backyard swings. she gets on top of her back leg too much. Takes to long to separate and get to a good hitting position on time. you should try to gather against the back leg, which weights the rear leg correctly, keeps her balanced and will start her load on time So she can separate on time.

Jun 8, 2016
I think this hitter has a ‘sway’. Which kills balance and the first stretching point.. so no resistance for separation to occur on time. Subsequently the cage swing has separation, no sway as well. Not perfect but better.
Angles are different but it looks to me she sways in the cage too but has time to recover because of the pitch speed 🤷🏽‍♂️

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
An easy way to alleviate a sway is to sequence the load a bit better. try starting in a neutral stance w the hands at the midline. Start taking the hands back smoothly, the body will shift, the back leg will stabilize.. let the hands continue back. Do it dry. Tee. then time it to a ball. The sway should disappear. The hitter will learn what load of the back leg feels like. It’s subtle. But very important.

edit: once learned she can put her own style to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812