HELP! please evaluate my daughters swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I'm not following the logic here.

This kid is struggling fiercely, has had 6 months of paid instruction with no progress, and your recommendation is to go the hard route and work on a sport that she won't be playing for 9 months.

Why not focus on developing what you perceive to be as the easier swing during a time that the sport is in season?

While I understand what you are saying, to me teaching two swings to a player of this age would be tough to do. That is why I said go with the FP swing for now. I am not discounting you swing advice.

Edit: Honestly i was thinking she was a younger player. If she plays SP a lot then learning to do both will be a plus.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
While I understand what you are saying, to me teaching two swings to a player of this age would be tough to do. That is why I said go with the FP swing for now. I am not discounting you swing advice.

Edit: Honestly i was thinking she was a younger player. If she plays SP a lot then learning to do both will be a plus.

We want these kids seeking various passions. Right now there is an opportunity to enrich her passion towards slow-pitch softball.

You suggest that learning the slow-pitch softball swing is much easier. Why not tackle the easy project first? When the season is over she'll have 6-months to work on sharpening her fast-pitch swing ... and with her new-found understanding of the importance of leverage, she could have a great FP season ... assuming that she makes the proper adjustments.

Take note that this kid is struggling. Have her tackle what you perceive to be an easy project during a time that her incentive is high to tackle the task (people learn best when they desire to learn, and not necessarily when someone has a desire to teach), and she'll build confidence in herself. From there the sky is the limit.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Soonershok,

We are 11-pages into this thread and you’ve received a fair amount of bad advice. Much of the advice you received didn’t appear to respect what you were after. There were no apologies or retractions made once the advice was recognized as poor … instead the bad advice was left out there for others to swallow and suffer through. The world is populated with people like that. The world is also populated with well meaning individuals that spew forth information that is not correct. You need to find ways to protect yourself from folks like that … which is why some of us adopt simple principles like the Hanson Principle.

Always compare what anybody tells you about the swing to slow motion clips of the best hitters in the world
-- Mark Hanson

The principle should be amended for various activities … golf, pitching, fastpitch batting, slowpitch batting, javelin, ect.

At multiple points in this thread there were requests for confirmation … i.e., the display of a slow-pitch swing confirming the inclusion of what was being recommended. That is a typical request. It is a request made to seek confirmation. Those requests went unanswered, and that should serve as a warning flag that the advice may not have gone through the simple filter of seeking confirmation.

You have come to a “fastpitch” website. As the saying goes … “if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail”.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I will go back to what I think Eric said, she lacks violence. That is one way of saying she need to learn how to use her core and create torque or leverage. Throwing bats for distance (as far as she can), direction and spin rate may help her "naturally" find violence/ explosiveness/ leverage / torque.(rotational power) Left handed heavy frisbee throws may help also.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
We want these kids seeking various passions. Right now there is an opportunity to enrich her passion towards slow-pitch softball.

You suggest that learning the slow-pitch softball swing is much easier. Why not tackle the easy project first? When the season is over she'll have 6-months to work on sharpening her fast-pitch swing ... and with her new-found understanding of the importance of leverage, she could have a great FP season ... assuming that she makes the proper adjustments.

Take note that this kid is struggling. Have her tackle what you perceive to be an easy project during a time that her incentive is high to tackle the task (people learn best when they desire to learn, and not necessarily when someone has a desire to teach), and she'll build confidence in herself. From there the sky is the limit.

I dont think I said the SP swing is easier. ???

I said to focus on the FP swing because I assumed she would use it more often and the pitching is more difficult to adjust to. But as you pointed out, she plays more slow pitch.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I dont think I said the SP swing is easier. ???

I said to focus on the FP swing because I assumed she would use it more often and the pitching is more difficult to adjust to. But as you pointed out, she plays more slow pitch.

You stated that the FP swing was more difficult to master ...

I would focus on the FP swing as it is more difficult to master IMO. And you can adjust from there.

Good luck and thanks for stirring up discussion on discuss fast pitch!

The implication being that if the FP swing is more difficult than the SP swing, then the SP swing is easier than the FP swing.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Soonershok,

We are 11-pages into this thread and you’ve received a fair amount of bad advice. Much of the advice you received didn’t appear to respect what you were after. There were no apologies or retractions made once the advice was recognized as poor … instead the bad advice was left out there for others to swallow and suffer through. The world is populated with people like that. The world is also populated with well meaning individuals that spew forth information that is not correct. You need to find ways to protect yourself from folks like that … which is why some of us adopt simple principles like the Hanson Principle.

Always compare what anybody tells you about the swing to slow motion clips of the best hitters in the world
-- Mark Hanson

The principle should be amended for various activities … golf, pitching, fastpitch batting, slowpitch batting, javelin, ect.

At multiple points in this thread there were requests for confirmation … i.e., the display of a slow-pitch swing confirming the inclusion of what was being recommended. That is a typical request. It is a request made to seek confirmation. Those requests went unanswered, and that should serve as a warning flag that the advice may not have gone through the simple filter of seeking confirmation.

You have come to a “fastpitch” website. As the saying goes … “if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail”.

Yeah, your poor advice. :mad:

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yeah, your poor advice. :mad:

I missed where you posted supporting evidence that the majority of the best slow pitch hitters have the body orientation below that you recommended.

Shawn-Launch-Recommendation-For-Slow-Pitch.gif

Feel free to retract your bad advice any time ... the sooner the better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32