Boggs, Gwynn and Mattingly on hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I came by this last night on YouTube...

I had never seen it before and thought I'd share...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mexPTsMxiOg

dczlhd.gif

2wf308w.gif

I thought it was interesting what Gwynn says about the rear leg at the 1:25 mark

CP

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Gwynn is using only his front leg in that GIF. No push/anchor from his back leg. (Notice the telltale upward 'hump' of his back hip before contact)

So, his comment is correct, if you're trying to achieve a front leg only swing.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2014
NEMO
Gwynn is using only his front leg in that GIF. No push/anchor from his back leg. (Notice the telltale upward 'hump' of his back hip before contact)

So, his comment is correct, if you're trying to achieve a front leg only swing.

How'd his knee get all the way up there without pushing? Since his front leg is extending ... how is his back hip going to do anything but rise?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Hard to believe this was 30 years ago.

FWIW ...

Gwynn never struck out more than 40 times in a season.

Mattingly never struck out more than 43 times in a seasons.

Boggs never struck out more than 61 times in a season.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York

Attachments

• Gwynn.jpg
    Gwynn.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 184
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
How'd his knee get all the way up there without pushing? Since his front leg is extending ... how is his back hip going to do anything but rise?

Not saying there is not some push, but the main reason the knee is up there, is coil.

It is clamped in place.

That rise, is hip extension, and I believe that the back leg, and back hip is supporting this extension, along with the front side.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Not saying there is not some push, but the main reason the knee is up there, is coil.

It is clamped in place.

That rise, is hip extension, and I believe that the back leg, and back hip is supporting this extension, along with the front side.

Mann...

I feel your post was rushed...forget fatman and be more descriptive...

Talk rear leg! This should be in your wheelhouse!

CP

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
TonyGwynn_TB_001_SF.gif

Babe say's:Swing hitting depends entirely on balance and timing. Note that my weight is on my left foot. As I start swinging my weight shifts to my right foot at the time of contact with the ball. The force of the swing makes a perfect follow through.
gwynn_slo_mo_swing_a2h89kpy.gif

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest

Babe say's:Swing hitting depends entirely on balance and timing. Note that my weight is on my left foot. As I start swinging my weight shifts to my right foot at the time of contact with the ball. The force of the swing makes a perfect follow through.

the foot can become weighted in a rather large portion of the swing.

Babe Ruth's quote is a rather good one, but, in his clip provided with this quote, his foot is weighted WELL before contact.

babegif-M.gif

even more so in this famous clip, where his foot is weighted at the launch position, or, before lag, which is a lifetime in the swing compared to BECOMING FULLY WIGHTED AT CONTACT

baberuth_nodupes-0.00.03.10ffotdown.jpg

Yes I am in rush, again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad