Thoughts on what Gwynn is suggesting.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Yes, Good clip can certainly see the hands a bit pushy in my swing. Thanks! Here is a still of Carrea vs Me at elbow slot. His a inside pitch and you can see that his is definitely in a different position in space. Granted I didn't have a ball for reference to swing at, don't know that that would have made a difference.

Capture7.PNG

Apr 3, 2021
My daughter's hitting coach is a hips, hands type but explains it in the fact that it is a transfer of kinetic energy. You have to load to begin the swing and build the energy and for a right handed batter, should feel some tension on the left torso. Hips need to start to turn, followed by the hands and then the hips need to stop that begins to transfer the energy to the shoulders, shoulders will stop transferring energy to the hands and right at contact the hands stop transferring the energy into the bat. This all happens so fast and momentum of each aspect of the swing carries further and doesn't really stop but the left foot builds a resistance point for the energy to transfer but weight has to be balanced. All this requires a solid core so workouts that address core muscles are key. Take a look at a slapper and they cannot get any real distance on the ball because their energy stays bundled up in their torso as they continue to "step" towards the mound. Personally, I don't care for slappers. And then have a $400 bat to slap, ugh. I would rather see a well hit ball in play or over the fence but that's just me as I know there are aspects of the game that preclude bunting, slapping and long balls.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Yes, Good clip can certainly see the hands a bit pushy in my swing. T

View attachment 23683

Actually your upper body is high level here.

The lower, not so much. You kept the bent front knee past contact (not good). You did this because the front leg landed mostly straight (should be bent), then you bent it after (it should straighten not bend), which caused you to lunge forward, etc. IOW, instead of landing bent, and then straightening, you landed straight, then bent.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood