Thoughts on what Gwynn is suggesting.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
All honesty, no need to hold the heel down if your in the glutes and using the ground correctly. Should be a result of maintaining angles/posture.
This we agree on. But I think Wallenbrock was just using that as a drill to get the feel of using the hip(s) correctly...can't imagine he'd expect hitters to always keep their heel(s) on the ground. JMO though.

Apr 11, 2015
yes really. That can lead to another type of drag. We have spoke of that already though.
Just terminology, and the problem of having multiple definitions of "bat drag".

Actually dragging the bat through the zone is a completely different problem - and therefore addressed differently - than the common definition of the term of the elbows leading (ahead of) the hips to the ball which is simply a timing/sequence issue.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Fixed it for you, "queues" are lines where people wait for something...and yes, when one wants a movement pattern where "the hips lead the way", and where "we want the swing to be pelvic driven", I've found the "cue" in the discussion to work very very, and quickly in facilitating just that. 👍🏽

If you're referring to getting leveraged fyb against the stretching core I agree with you.. Although from this position the hip rotation we see is a result not a cause.

Apr 11, 2015
If you're referring to getting fyb against the stretching core I agree with you.. Although from this position the hip rotation we see is a result not a cause.
Yes exactly. I found that the cue for young hitters works well in getting them to the "fyb", "separation/overlap" parts of the process that's been discussed in depth in the past.

It's just another tool in the tool box, and not something I use with every hitter. But in younger hitters starting out, it's been very useful in getting them to understand the proper timing/sequence of the body's movements that facilitates the other above mentioned things we're all looking for from them.

Oct 2, 2017
Really? If "the hips lead the way", it's pretty hard for the elbows to get out in front of them. It ain't rocket science, and don't take fancy internet words or terms to be able to get kids to learn how to hit.
Ok, what if the elbows are still leading the hands or is that not going to happen if you get the hips leading the way?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
So in an ABAF movement pattern what is leading what ?

QIHL4l1.gif

Oct 2, 2017
So in an ABAF movement pattern what is leading what ?

QIHL4l1.gif
I've always understood that as everything is "Unloading" together, but I guess some would say the hands are leading? I would say though that he doesn't have drag like the kids in the pic referenced, which was said is because the hips need to lead.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying