Jayleen - 14yo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Why would you post an unreprentative swing for time-consuming evaluation by others? Good luck.

There's literally text below that clip that states it was simply posted as a chuckle and to show how today's bats cover bad contact. With normal clips right below it. So, it can easily be skipped.........

Sorry for wasting your time?

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri

Some frontside video from Tuesday. This pitcher was a little slower, so not sure if she got on top just from timing or simply just missed her spot.

She mentioned that, at times, it feels (or appears by the coach to be) she's early in her timing and has to delay the hands. Not sure if that's what happened here or simply the fact the pitch was low and away. Or if that is something that will come and go as she works through consistent timing.

I won't have another opportunity to get more frontside video until next week.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
One of the big things that jumps out at me is that her swing is primarily powered by her top half and arms. She isn't creating stretch through her body to tap into the lower half power. A huge step forward for my DD (about this same age) was learning how to work on top of and behind the rear hip, with a pulling rear leg, and pulling rearward with the muscles of the back, rather than pushing the torso ahead of the hip.
1663254722350.png

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
One of the big things that jumps out at me is that her swing is primarily powered by her top half and arms. She isn't creating stretch through her body to tap into the lower half power. A huge step forward for my DD (about this same age) was learning how to work on top of and behind the rear hip, with a pulling rear leg, and pulling rearward with the muscles of the back, rather than pushing the torso ahead of the hip.
View attachment 26496

This makes sense with what I've been seeing. To me, DD's lower and upper fire at almost the same time. So I'm assuming that's the timing/visual result due to the upper half pushing versus being pulled through?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I see an athlete just athlete-ing on a change up that almost beat her, and isn't really a representation of her "normal" swing pattern. Same thing happens at the highest level of the game.
Yes just out front. It might be telling of a issue, but even the best take swings like that.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Yes just out front. It might be telling of an issue, but even the best take swings like that.

Change ups are her kryptonite. It’s something I’ve mentioned that needs off season work. Not sure if it’s so much a mechanics thing versus mental/decision making. Or not yet learned how to pick it up early (at release)

Generally, she’ll end up in a 1-2 or 2-2 count and then the CU will get her.

I’m still not sure how she went and got the one in the video I posted.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri

From last night. Can't really see the lower half until halfway into the swing, but (to me) seems to confirm what @Eric F pointed out. Now I can't unsee it.

Going to need to have a discussion with DD about the amount of hustle getting to 1B....despite whether she thinks the ball is going to be caught or not.......

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

From last night. Can't really see the lower half until halfway into the swing, but (to me) seems to confirm what @Eric F pointed out. Now I can't unsee it.

Going to need to have a discussion with DD about the amount of hustle getting to 1B....despite whether she thinks the ball is going to be caught or not.......

If I was going to change her swing it would be by doing drills that would help her incorporate her core/lower half. I wouldn't mess with it too much.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28