Batting gloves - recommendation?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
My DD goes through batting gloves like crazy! I am trying to find her a better set of gloves that will last more than a month. Her problem is that she sometimes forms a blister between her thumb and index finger if the glove doesn't have padding there. Some gloves do, but most don't. I looked on some online websites but they don't show the palm of the glove in their photos so I can't order online. The local shops Dick's, Dunham, etc are no longer stocking softball supplies because they consider it "off season".

Any recommendations?

Aug 3, 2013
How are the gloves stored when she's not using them? Do you live in a hot/dry climate? Do her hands sweat a lot?

Batting gloves are leather (mostly) becoming wet, dry, exposure to heat, cold, and repeat will really wear them out faster then normal. After use, dry with a towell, place in a zip lock bag, store them in your house. They will last longer.

I golf, my hands sweat a lot, and I live in the desert where temps in shade reach 115. Doing this with batting and golf gloves really does extend the life of the gloves.

butcher-boy

old school
Jul 10, 2013
ARIZONA
Been there done that. The price of batting gloves is ridicules when you consider the material and construction in them. I found out that a lot of wear was due to hitting tons of balls off of the T and cage work. One hour of batting practice swings is about one whole season of game swings. So being somewhat of a cheapskate I went to home depot with the DD and picked out a tight fitting pear of women's leather gardening gloves. I cut the finger tips off so they can be pulled on tight. DD thought this was a pretty lame idea at first but likes them now. She probably would use them in games except they wouldn't cool.

Aug 30, 2011
DE
A few years back a some guys on my slow pitch team swore by Mechanics gloves. I personally didn't use them, but can see them being comfortable and heavy duty. I was going to try them with my DD since she goes through gloves quickly as well and since she only wears them hitting and not in the field I'm not worried about the cooling. They make them in several different colors as well.

Jun 18, 2010
DD likes the Mizuno Global Elite. At the OKC Challenge there were several vendors there and she got a chance to try out many different brands and styles. They are pricey, but have been holding up well. We hit almost daily and she has had this pair for about 5 weeks w/o any holes or rips.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The price of batting gloves are insane!
Seems like I'm buying a new pair every month!
I have sworn off of Nike, stitching on the fingers comes apart within the first few bats! Mizunos are good but will turn into crunchy super tight stinky cardboard if they get wet.

Jun 18, 2010
The price of batting gloves are insane!
Seems like I'm buying a new pair every month!

CJ, no doubt. I used to play handball (a lifetime ago). I had several pair of handball gloves and they seemed to hold up pretty well and they used to be completely wet due to sweat at the end of a match. I never remember them wearing out so easy. As a matter of fact, I still have a pair of handball gloves. I use the left one for extra padding when catching DD. That pair of gloves has to be 20 years old (not exaggerating).

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD has had her Xprotex Reaktors for a year and a half. The price for them was insane but now it seems well worth it considering the padded Eastons or a competitors comparable pair cost around $35 and would only last about 2 months. DD wasn't exactly excited since there was no finger or palm padding but absolutely loves them now.

Nov 14, 2011
TurboSlot Batting Gloves / Hitting Gloves

I like Xprotex gloves. But also, I would adjust your daughter's grip. She shouldn't be getting a blister, there.

Thanks for the recommendation. I agree with the blister/grip problem. She does fine for a little while but after she sweats through the glove during her batting lesson she forms a blister sometimes. For now we are going to keep a couple pairs on hand and switch half way through the lesson until her new gloves come in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32