Do you toss a good batting glove if the mate is toast?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2021
Funny. My DD only wears the bottom hand one because that’s the only one I ever used (if I used any at all). I feel like they use to sell them as singles when I was younger. Come to think of it, you never see them as singles anymore.
They did sell them as singles..no way my old man would have bought two and let me only use one….
Both very true statements although I think I see the 'el cheapo' gloves sold at Walmart are singles, but otherwise it's a pair or nothing.

I used the single as well as a kid. But now I have a right handed DD and a left handed son so it could workout,... if my son actually played baseball.

Don't get me wrong, I would NEVER send my DD out with two different style batting gloves. Even I have limits. I'm no heathen!!

May 11, 2014
No!

You are looking at this all wrong!!!

Batting gloves are one of the FEW things you should be buying at Dick’s Sporting Goods.

Buy them at Dick’s, and buy the “No Sweat Protection Plan”. Register the receipt immediately on the app.

Then when they get the inevitable rip, you get reimbursed for them. You might have to buy another pair to get you by before you are reimbursed but this can go on for a surprisingly long time. DD wore Easton gloves and they would last 3 months tops before the palm would go out of them. Bang! Reimbursed, get another, buy the protection plan again.
Grandson's did this with their gloves and got new ones for 4$. My granddaughter wears mismatched socks as a style fashionista so maybe mismatched batting gloves will be next.

Oct 26, 2019
A886DDA6-FC4E-411D-9FDB-AB7E69D23D7D.jpeg
These batting gloves were awesome when I was a kid. Padded and neon green. Guaranteed to hit .400 or your money back.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
No gloves and no dilemma. I could never get the feel with gloves.

DD refuses to use batting gloves. She doesn’t like the feel and she claims they make her hands itch.

While I can be fine without them….I definitely prefer to use gloves. Not sure if it stems from my hockey days or not. I just like the feel.

Jun 8, 2016
DD refuses to use batting gloves. She doesn’t like the feel and she claims they make her hands itch.

While I can be fine without them….I definitely prefer to use gloves. Not sure if it stems from my hockey days or not. I just like the feel.
When I had one, I would wear it. What would typically happen is I would wear through one to the point where it wasn't doing anything (I would get a huge hole in it where the knob would rub against my hand) and then just go without until my father got around to getting me a new one. I cannot even remember if I wore one in college tbh since I would have had to pay for it myself :LOL: I had callouses everywhere anyway so they didn't do anything for that.

Feb 1, 2021

With some of the bat tape I've seen, DD could go without them. Others, she has no shot at hanging on.

She's a sweaty kid. If her cleats are in the van on tourney weekends, we throw them underneath the van anytime we go park somewhere. No lie. Otherwise, the van smells worse than a TaunTaun's insides!

"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!?!"
-Han Solo

Last edited:
May 23, 2015
Mark Grace never wore batting gloves and he had the most hits on anyone in the 1990s so you were in good company!
Haha I taught him everything he knows, but I didn't listen to my own advice

I've always been like that. I was taught by my father how to properly grip a bat, and its worked well. I have to change my grip points if I try to use a glove. Once in life I actually got paid to wear batting gloves, but never did

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes