Blisters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2021
My 10-year-old daughter has decided that she's going to work her butt off to get better at hitting the ball. She does half hour lessons twice a week and then we practice together a couple nights a week. She's developed blisters multiple times, especially during lessons, on the lower-inside of her right thumb and between her thumb and index finger on her left hand. She bats right handed. I realize that avoiding blisters entirely is impossible, outside of not playing. The issue is she gets frustrated that it takes a couple days for these to heal to the point where putting on liquid skin doesn't cause insane amounts of pain. I'm worried that, at 10, if she starts associating batting with pain she won't want to keep playing.

We have tried Nike batting gloves with no luck and she's now wearing Rip-IT Blister Control Softball Batting Gloves. My question is this...Are there any gloves that are known for doing a better job at preventing blisters between the thumb and index fingers and/or what else (if anything) can we be doing to prevent blisters as much as possible?

Jun 8, 2016
My 10-year-old daughter has decided that she's going to work her butt off to get better at hitting the ball. She does half hour lessons twice a week and then we practice together a couple nights a week. She's developed blisters multiple times, especially during lessons, on the lower-inside of her right thumb and between her thumb and index finger on her left hand. She bats right handed. I realize that avoiding blisters entirely is impossible, outside of not playing. The issue is she gets frustrated that it takes a couple days for these to heal to the point where putting on liquid skin doesn't cause insane amounts of pain. I'm worried that, at 10, if she starts associating batting with pain she won't want to keep playing.

We have tried Nike batting gloves with no luck and she's now wearing Rip-IT Blister Control Softball Batting Gloves. My question is this...Are there any gloves that are known for doing a better job at preventing blisters between the thumb and index fingers and/or what else (if anything) can we be doing to prevent blisters as much as possible?
My DD hated the Nike gloves..she likes the Franklin ones 🤷‍♂️

Jul 3, 2021
My DD hated the Nike gloves..she likes the Franklin ones 🤷‍♂️

Agreed. The Nike ones were junk, which is why we tried the Rip-IT gloves. For some reason I was optimistic based on them having "blister control" in the name. lol

I will let her try out a pair of Franklin gloves and see how she likes them. Thanks!

Jun 8, 2016
Agreed. The Nike ones were junk, which is why we tried the Rip-IT gloves. For some reason I was optimistic based on them having "blister control" in the name. lol

I will let her try out a pair of Franklin gloves and see how she likes them. Thanks!
As weird as it sounds, I see some kids around here use work gloves when hitting. Never saw that in my life until I moved to Oklahoma.... :LOL:

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I can’t even pay DD to use batting gloves. She says they make her hands itch.

So if she starts getting hot spots we just tape them.

Yes…she prefers taping over actual batting gloves. And yes….I’ve stopped arguing with her.

Jun 8, 2016
I can’t even pay DD to use batting gloves. She says they make her hands itch.

So if she starts getting hot spots we just tape them.

Yes…she prefers taping over actual batting gloves. And yes….I’ve stopped arguing with her.
Marcela only uses one on her left hand. No batting gloves is old school..I like it ;)

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri

To me the biggest thing is fit. Which is admittedly tough with young players (and them constantly growing). If a glove is looser on the hand it won’t do much to protect against blisters.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Marcela only uses one on her left hand. No batting gloves is old school..I like it ;)

Last year she tried just one. First, top hand (I don’t know why) and then bottom hand. Still went back to no gloves. She’s done it so long now the hot spots don’t really happen anymore.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
What kind of tape are you using that fits and holds well enough on the hand?

Medical tape. Not the cushy stuff you’d use for a sprained wrist or something. Just straight medical tape. But in a pinch we’ve also used DS’s hockey tape. It works good too.

Where on the hand is she getting blisters?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00