Equipment Buying Hacks And Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Let’s all put our heads together here and come up with some best practices to save new members trouble and money. Please post your ideas! As stuff gets added, I can edit/cut/paste/add to the post.

I’ll start with a couple things I do......

Bats:

Always buy new bats from a reputable dealer who will give you a valid receipt for the warranty. Plan on needing to make a warranty return. Bats break.

Create a file of receipts. I use a big Manila envelope. As soon as you receive the receipt, put it in the envelope. Print a credit card statement as soon as you can. Attach it to the receipt. Many credit card companies double the length of warranty but you need the statement to do it. My Visa Signiture Card statments were only available online for one year.

Here is a link with some info on credit card warranties:

When making a warranty return, don’t forget to make a copy of your receipt if the manufacturer requires you to send in the original. It may be important later.

Great replies!

To summarize JMATW (his full reply below)
1. Don't pay retail, do research
2. Buy a discontinued/previous year model.
3. Consider "not as cool" bats that tend to be more discounted
5. Don't be afraid of used bats.
6. Don't be terrified of the bats breaking (and not having warranty)

I agree with all above. Deals are out there but dealers can’t always advertise the deals. Bats USUALLY don’t change much year to year. Do your research and save some money. I have bought a lot of good condition used bats over the years and have good luck with them. My other advice is that you buy bats to use. The more the player uses them, the better the player gets. Yes, they are expensive but wearing them out and breaking them are the goal in some ways. A good problem to have.

Batting Gloves:

I buy regular batting gloves. Many use motocross gloves, there are many on Amazon. Palmguards are super solid but kind of thick.

When I buy batting gloves, I do it at a big box sporting goods store. I buy the extended warranty every time. I then immediately register the product on line. If your dd plays much, she will wear out gloves faster than you can buy them, and the warranty is worth it.

I place the receipt, extended warranty info and the glove package in a separate Manila envelope which I keep in my vehicle. I do this so that at any time I can go back to the store and buy the exact same glove and the correct size without having her there to try them on. For awhile, she liked a men’s glove and I began to have a hard time keeping the size straight.

Using Motocross Gloves for batting gloves:

And I actually also preach motocross gloves to save cash. They are 100x more sturdy that batting gloves.
Now they are a bit thicker in the palm area than thin batting gloves, but you can get a top notch pair of moto gloves for
like 15 bucks and they come in so many more colors.
You go to a store and pay 20-30 bucks for batting gloves and they rip after a short time.

I know I am hard on gloves because I use adhesive spray for bat grip...but I never rip moto gloves and used to go thru
tons of batting gloves.

So if you haven't looked or tried...give a peak
Gloves- scroll down to Annasdad’s post below!

More on fielding gloves:

When it comes to ball gloves and batting gloves, the premier retailer offerings and big -box sporting goods stores are not necessarily the best quality and performance.

do your research, and find smaller "boutique" makers and compare.
You may be pleasantly surprised.

Examples:
VinciPro.com (ball gloves)
PalmGard.com (batting gloves)

Let’s hear your ideas! Make mine better!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018
Bats (since I went on a major buying selling spree this year and have seen what others have done). Most of these are duh for many, but I'm bored so...

1. Don't pay retail, do research(Most NIW $350 bats can be had shipped with warranty for around $280). Had a parent pay retail for both ghosts. Mostly played usssa, he bought the asa and daughter was in love. Our problem had no idea what daughter wanted. Try teammates bats if possible to help narrow search. My problem is I like to buy stuff especially if it's a percieved deal and I can't currently do so for my hobby due to injury.

2. Buy a discontinued/previous year model. (NIW warranty 32/21 Stealth Flex $120, NIW warranty 32/21 CF9 $225-rediculous price on ebay, NIW likely no warranty 32/22 CF6 $110). Search the deep web, small independent shops tend to have some old stock. I watched a CF8 insane NIW for $100 sit for 6 months, took everything in me not to buy it just because.

3. Consider "not as cool" bats that tend to be more discounted...ex Rawlings Quatro/ Quatro Pro. That Stealth Flex is not as bad as people made it out to be and can be had for dirt cheap.

4. Dont buy an aluminum bat. Girls mom paid $90 for some easton Al probably at DSG. Not because performance is necessarily horrible if the swing is good, but god I hate listening to them in the cage (Not big fan of the LS sound either) and can probably get a high end composite for similar. I'd even avoid the 2nd tier comps especially at retail.

5. Don't be afraid of used bats. Don't over pay for a used bat (about $125 max) or bat without warranty (about 60% of what can get bat with warranty) . Ebay not recommended, but I've had good luck on FB marketplace both local and not. I kind of stalk FB page and ask questions to get an idea if I think the bat is ok. Obviously if local get to see it first. Most will ship for the $12 cost. Also just search for the bat in the FB app home page not just marketplace. Got a good condition 32/21 CF8 for $112 shipped (they are ridiculous on ebay) and a good 32/22 CF9 for $100. Just because picked up a worth 33/23 2legit for $20, needed a new grip, well used but functional for me to hit with. People just have stuff sitting in the garage and eventually decide to get rid of it.

6. Don't be terrified of the bats breaking (and not having warranty) especially if not a big power hitter. To my knowledge we haven't had one broken bat on our team this year (Ghosts, CFs, LS all represented). And don't be surprised if they do. A cage bat very similar to gamer is a good option.

Helmet - team wanted matte black. Of course ours was a new black white ripit. I spent $6 on a can of plastidip and has held up pretty good a
nd could spray 3 more times probably. Perfectly no, but no one would even know unless they inspected it up close. No ump has ever even took a 2nd look.

Not much on gloves other than avoid retail. I've heard a lot of good things about Liberty Advance series when comes to Performance per price.

If you read all that and wonder what DD actually uses...well the CF6 (-10) and CF9 (-11) depending on how she's feeling with each and pitch speed. She swung a ussa ghost at a practice and liked it so now going to try that one too (2020). Much heavier swinging so we'll see. Yeah yeah, it's the Indian and not the arrow. But we're having fun together and she'll probably be gone in 4 years. Though the DW doesn't always understand.

Jun 22, 2019
#4. The rocketech is a good aluminum bag if the girl is strong enough to swing it. I’ve seen many bombs with that bat.

#5. Why is eBay not recommended? I buy almost all of my bats from eBay. Some new and some used. I just bought a CFZen for my son for $100 that was almost brand new. Bought many, many softball bats on eBay, both slow pitch and fast pitch and never got burned.

Oct 5, 2018
#4. The rocketech is a good aluminum bag if the girl is strong enough to swing it. I’ve seen many bombs with that bat.

#5. Why is eBay not recommended? I buy almost all of my bats from eBay. Some new and some used. I just bought a CFZen for my son for $100 that was almost brand new. Bought many, many softball bats on eBay, both slow pitch and fast pitch and never got burned.

4. Only heard good things about the RT. But thinking it's not for the masses and was referring more to those $80 "higher tier" eastons and rawlings.

5. Just my opinion on ebay. Sure there are good deals out there. I feel more comfortable on FB. Usually I know I'm buying from FP parents. Have to wade thru the flippers and harder to me to discuss the bat. Not too many good condition CF8s (-11) on ebay for $110.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Let me see............gloves? ;)

I could write for quite a while, but I’ll start with new glove break-in. Just please break it in naturally, no oven, no microwave, no steamy death box from Dick’s, and please don’t run over it with your car or truck! :rolleyes:

Hand shape it and just play good old fashioned catch, remember the longer it takes to break it in, the longer it’ll last!

Dads, keep your big bear paws out of your DD’s glove!!

And for maintenance, go on Amazon and buy yourself a small container of Obenauf’s beeswax as a sweat / moisture barrier for the hand stall, while you’re there go ahead and buy some Surf City Voodoo Blend conditioner, or go to Walmart, Auto Zone, or Advance Automotive and pick up some Lexol conditioner in the brown bottle. All 3 of these are excellent products! A container of Obenauf’s and a single bottle of either of those conditioners will last you a longggg time!”

Glove storage..........teach your DD how to keep and maintain the proper shape of her glove. We’d all love for our DD’s to be able to sit them palm down resting on the glove’s thumb & pinky, but that’s just not practical.

There’s products out there like the glove locker or the WebGem system. To me, just spend the $10.00 and buy the Mizuno velcro wrap, money very well spent! Teach your DD to take the extra 5 seconds when she’s cleaning out the dugout to put a ball in the pocket, wrap it up properly with the velcro wrap, and then put it inside her helmet where it’ll stay secure inside her bat bag. Pancake flat gloves are a crime!!

All I have at the moment!

Last edited:
May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
When it comes to ball gloves and batting gloves, the premier retailer offerings and big -box sporting goods stores are not necessarily the best quality and performance.

do your research, and find smaller "boutique" makers and compare.
You may be pleasantly surprised.

Examples:
VinciPro.com (ball gloves)
PalmGard.com (batting gloves)

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
#5. Why is eBay not recommended?

There are many "reps" running around on ebay that aren't what people think reps are. They do not work for
a store. They take your money and buy from a store. No real affiliation. SO, if they don't have a receipt, you cant do anything
about it. The store he says he "works" for doesn't have to help one bit. Many reps have gone rogue over the past few years
and screwed people over. Even shipping, I know of a couple stores that don't even stand behind the shipping for
"rep" purchases.

So, as far as used, it is what it is...you are buying sight unseen (who knows what pic it is) and take your chance.
You can def get good deals and if paying cheap for something used, might be worth it.

Anything you are banking on having a warranty, I would buy from an auth dealer and save any future possible headaches

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
This is what makes this site so great, I found this place by accident back in 2013 and used this site as a source of information daily! We played in Raleigh this weekend and for the first EVER, I finally said I'm very ready for TB to be over! This is a fully committed team and it's starting to show, they're all wanting to move on to their new chapter of life and softball.

I'm thankful for this site and what it's given me but I feel like I'm at the end of my road here shortly, time for the new batch of Dads with younger DD's to step up and fill some of the older members void.

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
I'm thankful for this site and what it's given me but I feel like I'm at the end of my road here shortly, time for the new batch of Dads with younger DD's to step up and fill some of the older members void.
I hope you don't go too far. I've developed a keen interest in gloves and how they are made, not to mention your collection.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My rules, some of you might not like them

don’t spend over $100 dollars for a glove. have them relaced if needed, you will get another year out of a glove

Your 10u dd does not need a first baseman’s mitt, your 12u dd probably doesn’t either. She will be a better fielder for it.

Buy 1 bat, don’t give your dd 2 bats. If you give her a new bat, throw out or sell the one you are replacing. A girl with 2 bats is never sure which one to use and eventually she will have 3 bats because she has learned to blame the bat. In fact make her learn using team bats,

Buy good cleats, good means they fit and are comfortable. shoes are more important then we give them credit for. Replace as needed, not just at the end of the year.

Catchers gear, make sure it fits. The cost or the name doesn’t mean anything. The fit is important. Try them on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478