Blisters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
DD used Mountain Biking or Motocross gloves. I don’t remember her ever having issues with blisters but it seemed as if she tore a pair of batting gloves within a week. The Mountain bike gloves would last for months and months before giving out. They are thicker than a batting glove but according to my DD she felt the bat fine and could hardly tell a difference in feel. Newman football receiving gloves are well made gloves also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 12, 2016
What about the bat? Sometimes it’s tape on the bat. For example the first generation Easton Ghost had awful tape, blister inducing tape.

For practice I would use weight lifting gloves, nothing too crazy but lightly padded to prevent blisters. JMHO

Jul 3, 2021
To me the biggest thing is fit. Which is admittedly tough with young players (and them constantly growing). If a glove is looser on the hand it won’t do much to protect against blisters.

This is a fair point. I'm wondering if the gloves have stretched out a bit...it was also an indoor facility without AC, so her hands were sweaty. A slightly looser fit combined with moisture probably didn't help.

Where on the hand is she getting blisters?

Two primary locations: Top hand (right hand) on the lower inside of her thumb. Bottom hand (left hand) at the base of her index finger where the knuckle of the thumb would hit if pressed up against it.

DD used Mountain Biking or Motocross gloves.

Interesting! I hadn't thought about using anything other than batting gloves, but it's come up several times now so I may look into that. Especially for longer practice sessions.

What about the bat? Sometimes it’s tape on the bat. For example the first generation Easton Ghost had awful tape, blister inducing tape.

She's had the same bat for the last four months (when she first started playing) and it's never been an issue previously. She's using a 2020 Louisville Slugger Proven bat, which needs to be replaced this fall anyway as her swing has outgrown it. I had actually planned to go try out other bats prior to the blisters forming. When we do get around to that I'll make sure we pay attention to the tape on the bat. Thanks for the heads up!

Sep 19, 2018
Try an axe bat. How does she hold the bat? Does she bury it deep in her palm or does she hold it across the pads of her palms?

Mar 12, 2016
Left Coast
Interesting! I hadn't thought about using anything other than batting gloves, but it's come up several times now so I may look into that.
Years ago I stumbled upon an inexpensive gel-padded mechanic's glove with silicone strips on the fingers. The gel pads eliminate vibration and the silicone strips act like tiny suction cups.

After buying a bunch for myself, I bought a few for players who had never used batting gloves and were starting to develop blisters. The silicone strips allowed them to relax their grip on the bat which halted the blisters.

Soon, everyone on the team had to have the "cool" black batting gloves. Who would have thought a black mechanic's glove would be cool with 16s?

I just checked the vendor's website to buy another dozen pairs for myself and, of course, that model has been discontinued.:cautious:

Jul 3, 2021
Years ago I stumbled upon an inexpensive gel-padded mechanic's glove with silicone strips on the fingers. The gel pads eliminate vibration and the silicone strips act like tiny suction cups.

After buying a bunch for myself, I bought a few for players who had never used batting gloves and were starting to develop blisters. The silicone strips allowed them to relax their grip on the bat which halted the blisters.

Soon, everyone on the team had to have the "cool" black batting gloves. Who would have thought a black mechanic's glove would be cool with 16s?

I just checked the vendor's website to buy another dozen pairs for myself and, of course, that model has been discontinued.:cautious:

I've been trying to find something that would work based on the suggestion here. I suspect this isn't quite what everyone had in mind, but we're going to give it a shot: Amazon product ASIN B08C7BQDZL
If anyone does have recommendations for motocross or mechanics gloves that have worked for them please share! My daughter LOVES getting in the cage and getting a ton of reps so it's frustrating to her when we have to back off a bit. We work through the minor blisters but when the whole top layer of skin comes off it's just brutal.

Mar 12, 2016
Left Coast
Apparently the mechanic's glove I mentioned is still available in medium size only. If that is your DDs size then you might want to give it a try:

Northern Safety, Inc.​

NSI Hydraulix Mechanic's Gel Padded Anti-Vibration Gloves​

Item# 23402
CLEARANCE
$17.29 - $18.79 / Per Pair

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad