Need Advice on Best Glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2023
My 15 year old's current glove (Rawlings 12.5") is nearing the end of its life and we are looking at new gloves. She plays SS for her Varsity High School Team and Outfield for her Travel Ball Team so we are looking for a glove that can serve both positions.

She would like an H or I web (though we are open to other options) and we have been looking at getting a 12" (open to 12.25" or even 12.5") glove of better quallity leather that will hopefully last longer, form a good pocket, is soft leather (easy to break in) and is not too heavy. Her current glove was a very cheap one that did not do well forming a pocket (has bubbles in the pocket and finger area) and is pancaked at this point, but my daughter likes the lightness of it (it is 15.3 oz) and how soft and easy to close and maneuver.

After some research we purchased a Wilson A2000 Spin Control SR 32 Sierra Romero 12". We got a factory breakin treatment and after a month of using it daily at practices, catching, etc., using some glove conditioner, as well as every day taking a mallet to it, the glove is still very stiff for her preference and the balls just keep popping out of it. It also stings her hand quite a bit when catching the ball. Not sure if we just need a lot more time breaking it in or what, but we are considering returning it.

We have been considering the following gloves that we would appreciate any advice and feedback on.

1. Wilson A1000 IF 12" - This advertises as softer and easier to break in. Not sure of the quality of leather. The pockets of Wilsons seem well designed
2. Rawlings Heart of the Hide Sierra Romero 12" - Advertises as softer and more game ready. Seems to be good quality leather. Concerned about the weight (A Rawlings representative said that it was 32 oz which seems crazy heavy. Wondering if that is accurate). We are concerned about the pocket development as well with Rawlings as it looks like the thumb portion of the glove curves outward on a lot of the Rawlings models.
3. Nokona X2 Elite 12" - Looks to be very high quality leather and good company
4. Nokona Walnut 12" - Looks to be very high quality - concerned about ease of break in
5. Rawlings R9 12" - Softer leather. Same concern about pocket development over time.
6. Louisville Slugger LXT 12.5"

Thanks for everyones feedback!

Jun 8, 2016
1) IMO go with 12.25 in her situation. 12” is probably a bit small for OF
2) think about buying a baseball glove as they typically are constructed better
3)The better quality the glove typically the longer the break in period..

I am sure others will chime in with options.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Okay, you listed a lot of different quality gloves, some good, some not. Here's what I will say, and maybe @ANNASDAD will agree with me or not.

The A1000 and R9 are much lower quality than the A2000, HOH, and the Nokona gloves. While they will break in quicker, they will also break down faster.

As for your current A2000, they take a lot of effort to get game ready, so you may just need to work it a lot more. Don't be afraid to look up some videos of how Aso breaks in his MLB gloves. I use a 5 LB dumbbell to beat the snot out of my gloves. It requires a lot of effort, but it will be worth it.

Nokona makes great gloves, but they tend to be heavier and are even harder to break in.

Don't be afraid to look at a baseball glove. As long as you break it in with a softball, it will work perfectly for you. And you will have 10Xs the choices. Rawlings makes there gloves with an R2G option, which will soften it up somewhat at the factory, but you still need to do some work on it. I always suggest trying some one before you buy, and then contact me for better pricing.

Lastly, SS to outfield is tough for a glove. You need a big, deep pocket for OF work, but you want a small, shallow glove for SS. 12 is too small for the OF, in my opinion. Which does she play more?

Feb 20, 2023
Okay, you listed a lot of different quality gloves, some good, some not. Here's what I will say, and maybe @ANNASDAD will agree with me or not.

The A1000 and R9 are much lower quality than the A2000, HOH, and the Nokona gloves. While they will break in quicker, they will also break down faster.

As for your current A2000, they take a lot of effort to get game ready, so you may just need to work it a lot more. Don't be afraid to look up some videos of how Aso breaks in his MLB gloves. I use a 5 LB dumbbell to beat the snot out of my gloves. It requires a lot of effort, but it will be worth it.

Nokona makes great gloves, but they tend to be heavier and are even harder to break in.

Don't be afraid to look at a baseball glove. As long as you break it in with a softball, it will work perfectly for you. And you will have 10Xs the choices. Rawlings makes there gloves with an R2G option, which will soften it up somewhat at the factory, but you still need to do some work on it. I always suggest trying some one before you buy, and then contact me for better pricing.

Lastly, SS to outfield is tough for a glove. You need a big, deep pocket for OF work, but you want a small, shallow glove for SS. 12 is too small for the OF, in my opinion. Which does she play more?
Thanks for your input! She plays both position kind of equally right now although that may change in the future and we are considering having the A2000 as her infield glove and getting another one for outfield. If we go with a baseball glove is there one you would recommend? With so many options it is very hard to decide on what is best for the criteria we are looking for (softer leather, good pocket formation, lighter weight, etc)
Thanks!

Feb 20, 2023
Here are all the HOH and Pro Preferred Rawlings OF gloves they sell off the rack. You'll see they're all pretty big. If using a separate glove for OF, go with a 12.5.

Thanks!

what is the difference between HOH and Liberty Advanced? Is one easier to break in then the other? How is the pocket formation over time with Rawlings and does it keep it shape / pocket? My daughter currently has a Rawlings and it has pancaked (even though we kept a ball in it when she wasn't using it) and bubbles / bulges formed in the pocket and finger area.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
What's her primary position? If SS it sounds to me like a two different glove situation! At 15 is around the age our travel girls started using two different gloves for infield & outfield.

12" is the absolute maximum size for infield...look at a Don Morton Pro1000!
12.5" is the minimum for outfield.

Do yourself and your daughter a favor, get her a baseball glove!

Jul 1, 2022
It's wild that Sierra Romero has high end glove for both Wilson and Rawlings

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles