ARE ALL HITS CREATED EQUAL?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
Who cares? At the end of the game, the only thing that matters is the number of runs by each teams name on the scoreboard. What does it matter?

IMO, smallball runs should count as 1/2 runs cause....and homeruns should count x2...and runs resulting from defensive errors should count x5 ;)

If a player hits hard enough for a mishit ball to go over the fence, congratulations.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
If you grade the hits differently, then you must also grade the outs differently.

And you should do this if you're concerned with scouting/talent evaluation.

Stats are a record of what happened. To that end, a check swing single is just as valuable as a rocket off the wall that's hit so hard the runner can't even go to second (let's pretend bases are empty for these). Stats are not really meant to take into account luck or flukes.

But there is a whole important world of trying to determine True Talent, which is why smart people created all those complicated advanced metrics in baseball. If you're trying to evaluate talent, you should value a line drive out to the CF more than a little squibber that nobody in the infield can reach (ah, but maybe the runner beats those out because she's fast, which is a skill and something you should value!). The player who consistently makes hard contact will, in the long run, out perform the player who lucked into a few hits.

Oct 4, 2018
You guys are using QABs right?

A Quality At-Bats is any plate appearance that results in a:

• Hard it ball
  • Walk
  • 8 Pitch At-Bat
  • Sac Bunt/Fly
  • Move Runners Over w/ Less than 2 Outs
  • Base Hit

Not in younger years, no. Pitching too eratic that it inflates girls who just sit and watch the ball go by and walk. I once sorted the 10U team by QAB and it made some really poor hitters rise to the top.

I assume it works better for older girls and better teams playing better competition.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
At my DD’s HS game on Tuesday she had 3 AB’s. Walked in her first one. Smoked a ball to the left of a 3B who was playing in that lunged to her left and somehow caught it. Third AB she hits a dinker just over an outstretched SS.

It all evens out in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 4, 2015
And you should do this if you're concerned with scouting/talent evaluation.

Stats are a record of what happened. To that end, a check swing single is just as valuable as a rocket off the wall that's hit so hard the runner can't even go to second (let's pretend bases are empty for these). Stats are not really meant to take into account luck or flukes.

But there is a whole important world of trying to determine True Talent, which is why smart people created all those complicated advanced metrics in baseball. If you're trying to evaluate talent, you should value a line drive out to the CF more than a little squibber that nobody in the infield can reach (ah, but maybe the runner beats those out because she's fast, which is a skill and something you should value!). The player who consistently makes hard contact will, in the long run, out perform the player who lucked into a few hits.

I cant agree with this enough! Stats are not what you go by when making out a lineup. Someone can go 0-4 with solid contact and good at bats just as someone can go 4-4 and never square a ball up. But over the course of time, I do believe that a batting average has tons of value. Generally the bloopers and At-em balls level each other out.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I cant agree with this enough! Stats are not what you go by when making out a lineup. Someone can go 0-4 with solid contact and good at bats just as someone can go 4-4 and never square a ball up. But over the course of time, I do believe that a batting average has tons of value. Generally the bloopers and At-em balls level each other out.

The reason batting average doesn't have a ton of value is it cannot answer two important questions: How often does the runner get on base? How much damage are they doing when they do get a hit?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
You guys are using QABs right?

A Quality At-Bats is any plate appearance that results in a:

• Hard it ball
  • Walk
  • 8 Pitch At-Bat
  • Sac Bunt/Fly
  • Move Runners Over w/ Less than 2 Outs
  • Base Hit

That problem with that is it treats "productive outs" as equally valuable as actual good outcomes, like hits and walks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles