Hitting Slump or just bad luck?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Oh I'm not mad about them posting it...just confused on how dd ended up at the bottom when (at least I thought) she's solid at bat. The rest of the team was .55-.69 ob% and .34 to .676 batting avg.
how would you lose 5 games with .550-.690 OBP? and a .340- 676 BA?
Where is John McEnroe?

Jun 11, 2013
Just make sure she is hitting the ball hard. A fly ball to the OF is not hitting it hard. If you keep hitting it hard you'll get hits.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Just make sure she is hitting the ball hard. A fly ball to the OF is not hitting it hard. If you keep hitting it hard you'll get hits.

Seeing fans go crazy because one of their hitters hit a lazy fly out at 16u drives me crazy. Heard a parent just raving about how a girl (maybe his DD, I don't know) "crushed" a ball that went maybe 30-40 feet into the outfield. Center fielder was camped under it the whole time.

Jun 20, 2015
That's why we moved up to 14s for the last 2 tournaments. We were bound to USA tournaments this fall (due to our 2009 birthdays) but wanted to give the 2010 and 2011 kids a little more time to adjust to faster pitchers in 12u. USA by us doesn't have a ton of B tournaments. One of the teams we played this last tournament was all 8th & 9th graders where we are 6th, 7th, and 1 8th grader (who is the youngest kid in her grade).
09 birth year is 14u anyway. Disservice to play any games at 12u. League year started 1 August.

Game Changer is great. With access to all sort of metrics and stats. IF IT IS SCORED CORRECTLY!!!! As others have said, the well-intentioned Mom or the Stat padding dad, running GC will royally screw it up.

I've watch games with 3b having 5 throwing errors to 1b, where she never threw a catchable ball. Think 10' high and rising..... And all 5 errors were recorded E3. Or the sac bunt, with a 4 base throwing error magically scored HR. Or the grounder thru 2b legs, past RF, and relay throws dropped 2x being scored a HR.

And don't get anyone started on WP versus passed balls with GC ran by either Pitcher or catcher parent. WOW!

If your DD is putting balls in play and hitting the ball hard, the stats will sort themselves out, The liners will start to hit grass versus gloves, the flares will start dropping and all will be right in the world.

Sep 3, 2013
Illinois
QAB(Quality At Bats) is a better stat to track than BA. But as mentioned previously, you have to have someone with a softball/baseball brain doing GC for accurate results and good luck with that. With my HS team, we never spoke of BA the day after each game, we only discussed who had QABs.

Jun 20, 2015
the problem with QAB is it is very dependent on accurate GC entry. a hard hit ball on first pitch is weighed higher than a little flare that drops in on pitch #2.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
As others have mentioned, GC is only as good as the person doing the entries. On DD's TB team, there were two pretty experienced people working a paper scorebook and GC side-by-side. It was a good product overall, but they still occasionally got things wrong. If your DD is dead last on a "C" team with a .300 BA and .400 OBP, it's likely that fielding errors and perhaps even Fielder's Choices aren't part of the scoring method. These are all things you can keep track of yourself during the season. However, first ensure that you know how the numbers are calculated and what they mean.

My personal favorite is called OPS, which means On-base-Percentage + Slugging. It captures both how often a player reaches base plus how effectively they're hitting a ball (hard hit for a double vs a dink single).

For outs, it's important to keep track of what kind of out it was. If it was a hard hit ground ball or line drive that went right to someone, just keep swinging. If there are lots of high fly balls or weak grounders, some fixes may be necessary.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles