Errors vs hits in scoring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2022
Yes, always interesting to compare how the two teams score the same game. I agree, about 80% the same. I've never seen any stats removed or changed. Differences are just hits/errors, wild pitch/passed ball type stuff.
Agree, I forgot our team give courtesy runs to the courtesy runner, not pitcher/catcher so that is different about every game. I think we are wrong but I have never seen official guideline for that. It is still no big deal.
I have only seen stats look fishy a couple of times. Like a team getting blown out just stop counting runs for opponents.

May 3, 2023
The Courtesy Runner or Pitch Runner gets the run scored.
I have a friend, who was such a good baserunner, her coach used her almost exclusively as a pitch runner. This was a D1 University and this player was second on her team in runs scored for the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 14, 2022
The Courtesy Runner or Pitch Runner gets the run scored.
I have a friend, who was such a good baserunner, her coach used her almost exclusively as a pitch runner. This was a D1 University and this player was second on her team in runs scored for the season.

Pinch runner yes. Courtesy runner not for sure. They technically never enter the game and in bat the lineup are the last out, and stay in the lineup at their current order.

Nov 18, 2013
The NCAA Softball Scoring Guide says if the fielder is closer to home than the base at 1st or third it’s a hit no matter what fielder does.If a fielder takes more than 10 steps on a fly ball even if ball touches the glove, it’s scored a hit!

I don’t think either of those are in the NCAA scoring guide. Do you have the rule citations?

Apr 1, 2017
HS stats matter, though they're not usually useful indicators of talent. But they matter from a record-keeping standpoint. There is school (and perhaps league/conference, state, etc.) history involved. For that reason, I take the scorekeeping seriously. I also do not judge a player's actual ability based on such a small sample size with such a wide range of opponent talent levels.
I appreciate that you put the effort into having accurate stats. I tried to do the same scoring our travel games.

However, the GC account for my daughters high school team is run by a player that isn't in the lineup that day. Often, after hit vs error, double vs single/advanced on error, wild pitch vs passed ball, etc. I would check the GC to see how it was scored. Many times per game I disagreed with the scoring decision.

It made no difference in the outcome of the games, but I think those are still the "official" stats that get automatically sent to maxpreps after each game.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I appreciate that you put the effort into having accurate stats. I tried to do the same scoring our travel games.

However, the GC account for my daughters high school team is run by a player that isn't in the lineup that day. Often, after hit vs error, double vs single/advanced on error, wild pitch vs passed ball, etc. I would check the GC to see how it was scored. Many times per game I disagreed with the scoring decision.

It made no difference in the outcome of the games, but I think those are still the "official" stats that get automatically sent to maxpreps after each game.

Oh, I don't doubt it. It's sad that the school/coach doesn't care about their own record keeping.

I try to glean what I can from MaxPreps stats for upcoming opponents. There are usually some things you can learn. The bad team that had a player with a 2.000 batting average? I can just stop looking entirely. But even if numbers are inflated by not understanding all the things you mentioned can still tell me who the better players are. The girl with the .700 average might really only be hitting .400, but if nobody else on the team is showing an average above .500, she's probably still the best player on the team (or her mom does GC).

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Pinch runner yes. Courtesy runner not for sure. They technically never enter the game and in bat the lineup are the last out, and stay in the lineup at their current order.

The person who actually scores the run gets credit. Same goes for everything else that can happen on the bases (stolen base, caught stealing, etc).

It's not true to say they "technically never enter the game." A courtesy runner is officially in the game as a courtesy runner. She gets credited with a game played at that moment. She is now restricted to only running for that position. She's not a ghost. It just is not an official substitution.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
That's your opinion. Many of us parents around the country run GC for the coaches and do it well. And we even confer with the coach on how they want to put in certain plays. And coaches can easily take 5 minutes after a game and make any changes they want to GC.

I'm sure some do. I'm also sure that for most coaches, it's primarily about making sure someone does it and the scores get posted and little else. I don't imagine too many coaches are spending a lot of time trying to figure out who the most knowledgeable scorekeeper is and they're just happy a parent is volunteering to do it.

Oct 4, 2018

They are. It can certainly be a mess. I understand that coaches want all girls engaged and getting them to do GC is one way to keep them engaged. But how on Earth are they expected to know how to score a game? It's unfair to put that on them (without teaching, guidance, etc.). And yes, then those stats go to Max Preps (from GC).

May 13, 2023
Swipe left or swipe right...
Appearance shouldn't matter so much.

Hitting the ball hard is the measurement the batter should take with them!

Even watching D1 softball there are times the mix match of talent level clearly gives opportunity for one team to over inflate their batting averages. Take it with a grain of salt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles