NAIA ruling on Transgender athletes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
NOTE: This is a news item related to transgender athletes. HOWEVER: No hate. No stupid jokes. Act like adults.

The National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) decided Monday that transgender women—or female gender–identifying individuals who were assigned male sex at birth—may not compete in its collegiate women’s sports going forward, CBS Sports reports.

The NAIA’s governing body oversees 249 small, mostly private colleges and their approximately 83,000 student athletes. It appears to be the first among collegiate athletic associations to implement such a rule.

“We know there are a lot of different opinions out there,” NAIA president Jim Carr told CBS Sports. “For us, we believed our first responsibility was to create fairness and competition in the NAIA ... We also think it aligns with the reasons Title IX was created. You’re allowed to have separate but equal opportunities for women to compete.”

In addition to banning trans women from competing on a team that matches their gender identity, the new policy also blocks trans men—or individuals who have begun “masculinizing hormone therapy”—from continuing to play on a women’s team. Male sports will remain open to any student athlete.

The decision follows both a December survey which indicated widespread support, as well as a unanimous 20-to-0 vote from its Council of Presidents.

It does not, however, apply to the majority of the nation’s colleges or universities, which are overseen by the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). The NCAA has taken a “sport-by-sport” approach, allowing the national governing body of each sport to determine its own transgender policies.)

Still, despite the relatively small percentage of student athletes affected, LGBTQ+ advocacy groups have expressed disappointment.

“This is unacceptable and blatant discrimination that not only harms trans, nonbinary and intersex individuals, but limits the potential of all athletes,” Shiwali Patel, senior counsel at the National Women's Law Center, told ESPN. “It’s important to recognize that these discriminatory policies don’t enhance fairness in competition. Instead, they send a message of exclusion and reinforce dangerous stereotypes that harm all women.”

Jun 18, 2023
NOTE: This is a news item related to transgender athletes. HOWEVER: No hate. No stupid jokes. Act like adults.

“We know there are a lot of different opinions out there,” NAIA president Jim Carr told CBS Sports. “For us, we believed our first responsibility was to create fairness and competition in the NAIA ... We also think it aligns with the reasons Title IX was created. You’re allowed to have separate but equal opportunities for women to compete.”

it's wild that they literally use this line. Have they ever been a history class even once?

Aug 9, 2021
You are not banning trans men, you're protecting women athletes. Words matter...change the narrative.

Agree with LEsoftballdad...NCAA needs to step up, as do many other organizations. Dawn Stanley missed an opportunity.

What a *NAUGHTY NAUGHTY* joke this has become. Embarrassing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 9, 2021
LOL! This is great...I get a "*NAUGHTY NAUGHTY*" edit to my own edited words as to not offend the too sensitive among us. Sorry mods for violating any rules.

I appreciate Sluggers for bringing this issue up. More men need to step up and support our daughters. Riley Gaines should not be fighting his battle alone. This is not a political issue.

May 29, 2015
I guess I'll be the fall guy. This is sexist, ignorant, and transphobic. That is overly evident in the "well, anybody can go play men's sports" attitude. This is not about protecting any gender lines or the policy would apply uniformly.

If you want to establish a scientifically based performance line, I am OK with that as long as it applies equally across the board, NOT just to athletes who are trans.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
@sluggers, I would suggest deleting this thread before it gets into a shouting match. This is quickly going to devolve into a political discussion, one that will make me lose respect for anyone who thinks it's okay for biological males to play in female sports.

This is similar to what you get when you allow biological males to play female sports.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619