Errors vs hits in scoring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2023
My daughter is racking up runs and ROEs and her batting average is plummeting.

How do you determine hit vs. ROE?

Stalking the competition- the majority of them are scored as hits by the other team.

Do you talk to the coach about it? He is stressing batting average to the kids and my daughter is getting really frustrated. She has significantly more ROEs than anyone else on the team. She’s no longer in the top 9 on average and would be well within it if she had the hits the other team scored. She’s one of the top run scorers. He has not moved her position in the batting order. But we have two tournaments coming up where top 9 hit on Sunday.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Who is keeping the score? Are the ROE balls that should be fielded with reasonable effort from the fielder? Are the majority of these balls ground balls?

Jan 20, 2023
A parent is keeping score (but they have kids playing in college- so are very experienced). Today it was a hard hit the shortstop barely tipped with their glove in the air. Another went into LF after third attempted a play. It was a grounder - but a really hard hit one. There was a legitimate over throw to first- but it was a tight call so they had to throw fast since she was running fast- If they had taken a second for a good throw she would have been safe. I can’t remember the other ones off the top of my head. But the last three games she has gotten an ROE.

May 27, 2013
A parent is keeping score (but they have kids playing in college- so are very experienced). Today it was a hard hit the shortstop barely tipped with their glove in the air. Another went into LF after third attempted a play. It was a grounder - but a really hard hit one. There was a legitimate over throw to first- but it was a tight call so they had to throw fast since she was running fast- If they had taken a second for a good throw she would have been safe. I can’t remember the other ones off the top of my head. But the last three games she has gotten an ROE.
From what you are describing I’d say those sound like hits to me. Typically if it is a questionable play at 1B where the runner probably would have been safe anyway the batter is scored with a hit. If it is anything other than a routine play then the batter gets the hit. Diving or jumping plays where the fielder does get a glove on the ball is not an error. A screamer down the line that gets past the 3B even though the ball might be “considered playable” is not an error.

May 13, 2023
My daughter is racking up runs and ROEs and her batting average is plummeting.

How do you determine hit vs. ROE?

Stalking the competition- the majority of them are scored as hits by the other team.

Do you talk to the coach about it? He is stressing batting average to the kids and my daughter is getting really frustrated. She has significantly more ROEs than anyone else on the team. She’s no longer in the top 9 on average and would be well within it if she had the hits the other team scored. She’s one of the top run scorers. He has not moved her position in the batting order. But we have two tournaments coming up where top 9 hit on Sunday.
Perhaps best case scenario is your daughter can recognize the type of productivity she is having while hitting. That she could be satisfied with the amount of force and contact she is consistently producing.

The other stats factor is how do people/her handle being judged by somebody else.
Which can become meaningless if she is satisfied with what she is producing.
Plus regardless of the stats if she is maintaining her hitting spot in the roster that might mean the coach recognizes that also.

Oct 11, 2018
Atlanta
I coach a team. A parent does gamechanger. I don’t want that parent stressed about how they score error vs hit/ SB vs PB vs WP etc. I dont want other parents grumbling about bias. So I tell all the parents that they are encouraged to text me after a game/ tournament if there are plays they felt were scored wrong. Then I can look at the video (there’s always video these days) and correct the scoring if needed. I always tell the parents who bring up plays that I appreciate them trying to make sure we get the stats right, and I never tell the parent who scored the game that I had to change things (though I have corrected systemic errors in general with a conversation). I think this approach has mostly eliminated resentment/ grumbling about the scoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Sounds like some tight calls. In general, if there is doubt the benefit of that doubt should go to the batter. That is, you should err on the side of granting hits rather than errors as a scorekeeper.

That said, if the scorekeeper knows what they are doing and takes it seriously and are making similarly tight calls for others on the team, then I do believe it will come out in the wash over the course of a season.

Also, if the coaches are smart, they are not only relying on GC stats to determine their batting line up. They have eyes and experience. Hitting the ball hard consistently is probably the most important thing you can do as a hitter.

Jan 20, 2023
I coach a team. A parent does gamechanger. I don’t want that parent stressed about how they score error vs hit/ SB vs PB vs WP etc. I dont want other parents grumbling about bias. So I tell all the parents that they are encouraged to text me after a game/ tournament if there are plays they felt were scored wrong. Then I can look at the video (there’s always video these days) and correct the scoring if needed. I always tell the parents who bring up plays that I appreciate them trying to make sure we get the stats right, and I never tell the parent who scored the game that I had to change things (though I have corrected systemic errors in general with a conversation). I think this approach has mostly eliminated resentment/ grumbling about the scoring.

I don’t want to create drama- but I can see it getting my kid down. The past two weekends she has hit the ball in a manner that got her on base 4 times and scored three runs. But three out of four hits were detrimental to her batting average since they were called errors. She has a ROE for every H she has for the entire fall season. Nobody else is close. I’ll reach out to the coach cause I can see it eating at her and she’s saying stuff like she sucks at batting (yet she has the third most runs on the team)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles